1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Abandoned with Care

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by IcemanYVR, Nov 19, 2012.

1. IcemanYVR

IcemanYVR Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Allan
    I'm just delving into the world of µ43 photography, so I borrowed a GH2 from a friend of mine to get a feel for the format. I actually shot this head to head with my D700 just to compare. Obviously the D700 still came out ahead, but not by much, and only when pixel peeping.

Anyways... I often pass by this old house when out riding my bike. I finally decided to return with a camera. Much easier to haul around a GH2 than a D700/70-200 combo :wink:

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  2. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Excellent shot! Can you also post the D700 version?

3. IcemanYVR

IcemanYVR Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Allan
    ask and you shall receive... Nikon D700 and AF 50mm f/1.8D

They are basically both straight out of the camera, just processed in Aperture (which incidentally doesn't seem to like GH2 RAW files as much as ACR). The colours from the D700 are more accurate, but nothing that can't be fixed with a little adjustment.

Abandoned_D700.

4. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Thank you! Looks sharper and the red is really different. What lens was used with GH2?

5. IcemanYVR

IcemanYVR Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Allan
    It had a 14-42mm lens on it, which I'm assuming was the kit lens. I'm pretty sure some of the better lenses or primes would do this image much more justice.

The D700 has no sharpening, but to be fair it was shot at f/8 with what is generally accepted as a razor sharp lens.

6. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I like the color balance/white balance of the GH2, but alot of GH2 images seem to suffer a lack of "pop" i.e. the images look as though the camera was wearing a pair of lightly tinted sunglasses. My OM-D suffers a little of this too as compared with my E-PL1 which consistently delivers bright, exciting, "wow" images with fine crisp details as though they were shot with a fine grain film.

7. IcemanYVR

IcemanYVR Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Allan
    It's funny you should mention this... I've seen some EM-5 images that just rock, incredible colour fidelity and depth. I've also like you said, seen some that just resemble pixels in a .jpg format.

8. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    While I don't disagree with any of the other assessments regarding relative sharpness between the cameras/lenses used, I prefer the GH2 image. Sharpness alone doesn't make a successful image. The softer GH2 image treats someone's old homestead here more sympathetically which, for me, works in the rural setting you found it in.

9. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Takis
    Great shot!Well done!