Abandoned Shopping Trolleys - GF1 + 20mm

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by jhob, Feb 20, 2010.

1. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

I went down to the mouth of the estuary in the town where I live to photograph the plethora of abandoned shopping trolleys in various states of decay today, here's a few of the resulting images made:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The full set of photographs is up on my flickr

I really loved using the GF1 and 20mm, I loved the simplicity that it brought to my photography, it felt like a very pure experience. The start of my photography revolution begins...

I even rather enjoyed using the lcd screen to compose, that surprised me a lot. I daresay that I may yet still but the EVF but after today I don't consider it the essential purchase that I did.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Excellent idea... well executed!

Thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 4
  3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I really like these.....like shoppers carnage....

jhob,
    you live in my favorite city in the world. I have family in Hawick down the Borders Country.

• Like Like x 2
  4. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks for your kind comments Brian :smile:

This is exactly the sort of the photography that I have not been inspired to make recently, the GF1 is definitely awakening my passion.

5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

I really like these, too but I also really would love to be able to see them in a larger size to fully appreciate them. Any chance you could upload them in their larger sizes to the a gallery? If you haven't started your own gallery yet this would be the time to do it. The 2nd and 3rd intrigue me the most from these small views but they really deserve to seen in larger form.

Here's a link to the thread in the Housekeeping forum that explains the ins and outs of the gallery: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=747 within that forum there's also an explanation of how to post photos to threads using the gallery as a means to an end, among other methods. And then there's also the newly updated thread about the uses of the forums and the galleries, if you haven't read it yet. https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=867

I hope my encouragement helps.:flowers_2:

6. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

I wasn't sure if there were size limits on photos in the forum so I put the smaller ones up. Have replaced those in the original posts with larger versions now.

7. BBW

Thanks and thanks for your flickr link, too! These images are very eerie and disturbing...and I don't mean that in any sort of negative way. They have a stark beauty while representing, at least to me, the degradation that many wreak upon their surroundings. Did you use any special process for these tones? I almost feel as though I'm looking at the aftermath of a bombing...as in what I imagine a nuclear one to be like. It's their glow and the way the light looks - and their sense of desolation. I don't have a favorite because I think they are all very strong and very well done.

Thank you so much for reposting them in larger sizes - it has made a huge difference.

• Like Like x 4
  8. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

Wow, thanks for the really positive comment! I was aiming for an eerie and desolate look for the series, I do tend towards bleakness.

I processed the RAW files in lightroom using a combination of presets and then some manual tweaking. The contrast is pretty high in most, I've had a love of high contrast ever since my TMax 400 days. I was blessed with the light which really helped for the look I was after, I do enjoy shooting contre jour.

I like your bombing comparison. I really am quite amazed that nobody has thought to clean the bay up for what must be many decades.

• Like Like x 6
  9. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks! :smile:

I actually live just down outside Edinburgh now, on the coast. That's Arthur's Seat in the background in this image:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  10. BBW

Thanks for your response, jhob. Well you know you did well and got what you were after with these photographs... I hadn't picked up on Don's (Streetshooter) "shopper's carnage" comment when I first looked in.

It is amazing isn't it that no one has cleaned it up. Maybe you can get some leverage with these photos in a local newspaper.

Another great one you just put up - wonderful detail in the water and that huge expansive background up to Arthur's Seat makes it, too.

Someday I would love to visit Scotland...my father's side started out from there way back when.

• Like Like x 2
  11. chalkdust

chalkdust Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Dec 29, 2009
    McKinney, Texas
    I share your preference for contrasty black and white. I find it so much fun to be able to see the actual B&W image in the viewfinder. Great stuff!

• Like Like x 2
  12. flipGTO

flipGTO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    This reminds me of some of Banksy's work. Good job.

• Like Like x 2
  13. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    I really love the series.. The last one you had posted is great.. The Moss accentuates it.. Great Captures...

When I saw Trolleys I took it for what we call Trolleys in the states... Took me a second to absorb :)

• Like Like x 2
  14. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

That's actually a healthy colony of barnacles on the trolley. It's on an estuary and the flats where I made these are tidal, so I checked the tide times and went at low tide. A lot of the trolleys have been washed down the flats by the tide.

Hadn't thought of that other meaning of trolleys! Would you call what we call trolleys, carts?

15. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    I guess you won't have heard of the expression "Off his trolley!" then?

Curious thing, language :biggrin:

Cheers

Brian

16. BBW

jhob, we here in the states (or in the "colonies" as BillNUK likes to say), call them shopping carts. Being an anglophile, Brian, I am familiar with "off his trolley", though I can't speak for the rest of us here in the vast melting pot.:wink:

• Like Like x 2
  17. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Geeze Brian, that was out of the cart...:laugh1:

• Like Like x 4
  18. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
  19. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

20. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    I know Scotland's a strange country, but shopping trolley's don't float too well!