1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Abandoned Military Hospital (28 images)

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by kponds, May 19, 2013.

1. kponds

kponds Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2013
    Tennessee
    Had a fun shoot yesterday at the abandoned Marine Hospital in Memphis.

MVP of the shoot was the OM-D's IBIS. All of these are handheld in very low light. I don't think I would have been able to do it with my 5D2 and IS lens.

The cadaver table in the morgue (which is underground) is lit completely by flashlights, when we turned our flashlights off it was total darkness.

14mm and 25mm panasonic lenses were used.

QgtdiLOl.
    (had to start with a self portrait from the outside, in case I didn't make it out alive)

lcek6oSl.

YCpnsmtl.

g65bTQZl.

HpXeOXul.

8eGiFZGl.

Jo6p1TDl.

n3tMchEl.

ullAhLBl.

0GWu2v0l.

KV0MwWUl.

tZWEdKTl.

[​IMG]

TN565mZl.

jIOWRmFl.

pS0Nuf4l.

bnrEscol.

lPQ78T0l.

NINYWQll.

iTwjpStl.

OeOmsAUl.

fbDPIKjl.

mPxYymRl.

Z1V7W2rl.

rh3TTWTl.

sEVd3vql.

gs4Qnw4l.

I2NHOfAl.

2. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    EXCELLENT series! The B/W somehow serves the military idea well to me, though I don't know why I feel that way, lol. I prefer to capture these places in color, but I like what you've done here none-the-less.

3. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Great captures! As always, I'm envious of others' shoots.

4. kponds

kponds Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2013
    Tennessee
    Thanks! I've used 30% desaturation and a slight green tint / cold white balance for similar shoots before (walking dead intro kind of look), but decided to try something different this time.

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    A "5-Star" set of images. :2thumbs: :drinks:

6. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Intriguing!

7. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Really nice black and whites, I like the textures and lighting in a lot of these and the B&W just keeps the focus on those elements instead of on the colors :thumbup:

8. Not military this appears to be the Marine Hospital referring to sea. It was staffed by the US Public Health Service. The primary patients were documented seamen ( Merchant Marine) and US Coast Guard. They also staffed Indian Health and Federal Prisons. The Merchant Marine hospitals were closed by Reagan in the fall of 1982. Not so for Indian Health Service and Federal prison facilities. Some docs went with the Coast Guard.

Abandoned Memphis: Marine Hospital adrift since closure, but new owner has redevelopment plans » The Commercial Appeal

Some info here.

9. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Very nice set. The shots down hallways really stand out.

10. kponds

kponds Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2013
    Tennessee
    Cool, thanks. The guy who we paid off to unlock the gates had said army and marine a couple of times and there are several army related stickers and other items in the hospital. I don't think he was a historian or anything though.

I see in the commercial appeal article that they sent army soldiers there towards the end of the hospitals days, which would explain the army related stuff that was there.

Good to know more history about the place.

11. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Remarkably set, well seen and beautifully processed. Bravo!

12. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Good work kponds. I like them a lot.

13. mattwise47

mattwise47 New to Mu-43

May 9, 2012
    Georgia, USA
    Fascinating istory of the building and great shots! I currently work for the US public health service... wonder if they'd waive the bribe at the gates for me?

14. kponds

kponds Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2013
    Tennessee
    I get the impression that it's an under-the-table kind of thing (another photographer arranged it, and on these type of shoots I generally don't ask too many questions).

I believe it's owned privately today.

Really appreciate all of the good feedback, I didn't know whether this would go over well or not.