1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Abandoned Laboratory

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by The Minimalist, Mar 19, 2013.

1. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    Some photo's I took inside an abandoned laboratory.
    All taken with a GF1, the first and lst with the 20mm lens and the rest with the P7-14 lens at 14mm.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/42234769@N08/8571762717/" title="Labs (1 of 1)-3 by Darren B1, on Flickr"> 8571762717_022eb870ae_c. "800" height="600" alt="Labs (1 of 1)-3"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/42234769@N08/8572872338/" title="Abandoned Lab by Darren B1, on Flickr"> 8572872338_6784956a31_c. "800" height="600" alt="Abandoned Lab"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/42234769@N08/8571785627/" title="Abandoned Lab by Darren B1, on Flickr"> 8571785627_e30ee35e7a_c. "800" height="600" alt="Abandoned Lab"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/42234769@N08/8571794465/" title="Abandoned Lab by Darren B1, on Flickr"> 8571794465_d74edc6e30_c. "800" height="600" alt="Abandoned Lab"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/42234769@N08/8573079114/" title="Abandoned Lab by Darren B1, on Flickr"> 8573079114_9af7ab4008_c. "800" height="600" alt="Abandoned Lab"></a>

• Like Like x 24
  2. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    That place is awesome, nice pictures! Do you know any of the history behind it?

• Like Like x 1
  3. KAB

KAB New to Mu-43

Feb 19, 2013
    Indiana / Ohio
    Katherine
    Very cool! Great textures!

• Like Like x 1
  4. PMCC

PMCC Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2013
    Awesome place indeed.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Interesting - and just a bit sad. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  6. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Darren,
    These are very interesting, and in my opinion they fall into a specific class of images. Before I say any more, what was your objective in taking (and showing) these images?

• Like Like x 1
  7. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Objects in the room suggests era of activity to be late 50s through the 60s. How did you get in that place? In the municipality in which I reside, dwellings such as these are few if any and those still existing remain so for very short periods and are forbidden to the general public for obvious reasons of safety.

Nevertheless, that place depicted in your photos provides interesting fodder for speculation as to the purpose of its existence; whether purely industrial and beneficial or otherwise nefarious as its current state of ominous decay so readily conveys.

Notice that would-be apparition in the darkened area below the cabinets in the first photo?:wink:

Thanks for sharing.

• Like Like x 2
  8. The Minimalist

Nov 19, 2011
    Thanks for the interest, a small group of us went there purely to photograph the place. Everything photograph is how we found it and we left it like that too. The place is now a forest, but it use to be a very large part of an explosive manufacturing site that was based there since after World War 1. It has since been abandoned. All around there are bunkers and small buildings.

To Slothead: My photography club does a monthly competion andd this month it is about decay. One of the members knew about this site and took us there. I took these photo's to show the decay of this place.

To OdBm. I totally agree with you on the dates. The benches and plug sockets reminded me of my old school science lab. THe school was built in the mid 1950's. There were a few buildings made out of asbestos sheets.

To RevBob: Obviously looking at these photo's we weren't the first visitors and sadly some of them did not have respect for the place. I did think it was sad that this place was left just standing serving no real purpose.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Man, you get into ALL the cool places.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I think I owe myself a Quadricopter and an open window.

11. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I understand Darren. The reason I asked is because It gives me a very depressing feeling as do many shoots that I do or see the results of, and in some cases these are done only to practice a specific method or photographic approach. I had to pass up a Tony Sweet workshop in the old Eastern State Prison in Philadelphia due to a schedule conflict, and there is an old hospital here in Maryland that many in our club are going to shoot sometime after the weather starts to behave.

While depressing things aren't fun, they do sometimes provide a message that can be seriously valuable.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I'm drawn to that material, possibly because of the dilapidated area from which I'd come. A group of children having fun and completely unaware of the decline. It's imagery that can prove valuable to set decorators for movie-making.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Forbidden is such a fluid term. "If a photographer shoots in an abandoned space and no one is around to hear it, does the camera make a sound?" Here the property must be posted, and a trespass complaint filed by the owner/agent. Police then give a first time warning.

My favorite abandoned factory is directly across the street from the Police Department.

There is inherent danger in exploring abandon buildings. Use extreme caution and always be aware of your your surroundings including stability of floors, ceilings, and a multitude of other risks.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Nice set of images Darren and a great camera to shoot them with (as much as I love my GX1, I still wish I had been able to hang onto my GF1).

The 20mm is a stellar performer and I only replaced mine (luckily picked up a mint 25mm f1.4 for very good price & 20mm trade in) due to it's inability to do AFC.

This would be a great place for a model shoot with an Urban theme.

Thanks for sharing.

• Like Like x 1
  15. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Love this series! :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Some great photos there! I would so love to use that location for a shoot...

• Like Like x 1
  17. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I love this type of location and that's a great set of pictures. No 3 is my absolute favourite. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  18. The Minimalist

Nov 19, 2011
    Thanks for the positive comments, much appreciated.

I would echo a point that has been made a couple of times in this thread. always be aware of your surroundings for safety reasons. When putting camer gear away into your bag, do it standing still and not when walking, holes in the ground appear in the most unexpected places. Lucky for me I only had a grazed knee.

19. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Darren, I greatly appreciate your sharing these images. I found some quite poignant.

These are the things that touch my soul. They document the human spirit, mans' ingenuity, achievements, and atrocities too. We observe in retrospect accomplishments destined to obsolescence and abandonment due to advancements in knowledge and technology. Here we glimpse upon the future fate of our own achievements. For me, it is the preserve these moments of the past before they are obliterated by man, nature, and time.

-Chrome

• Like Like x 1