1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Abandoned Coal Breaker Exploration

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by entropicremnants, Apr 7, 2013.

1. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    My adventure today was exploring an old "coal breaker" used to break up large chunks of coal mined by explosives and such. This apparently produced larger chunks which needed to be broken, cleaned and sorted. The breaker was where this happened.

This is the first urbex outing for my Panasonic G5 and it was wearing the Oly 9-18mm.

I got there before sun up and saw this looming giant. Note also the abandoned rail lines and survey ribbon. It's possible this will all be torn down eventually which will be sad. This was my first visit and I was along which makes it scarier but fun as well.

See the long chute on the right? The top of that was a goal as it's the highest point in the building.

8628080249_7fd09bd3aa_c.
    Breaking Nick: The Breaker in the Twilight by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

As you come around the back where you can't be seen the way in is under the rear loading areas.

8628079807_2f2d8ef71c_c.
    Breaking Nick: Welcome by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Here's a view out the window one floor below the top. To the left is the abandoned site, to the right an active processing site.

8628079453_ffbbf130ac_c.
    Breaking Nick: The Old and the New by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Here we are at the top of the world! To the right is the anchoring structure and drive system that would have pulled the long belt that carried coal to the top.

8629186800_710ce9233e_c.
    Breaking Nick: Top of the World! by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Wasn't sure what the structure was going to be like at the top of the chute, but it was fine for me to climb out on it and take a shot down the long chute. The belt obviously is gone.

8628078673_77e2e25386_c.
    Breaking Nick: A Long Way Downstream... by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

There will be more! But I have to go to sleep because I have to work tonight to get the steel mill started. More later this week as I get them processed.

• Like Like x 1
  2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Wow, excellant stuff. How do you get in? No, signage warning you to keep out or the dogs will bite you?

Gary

3. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Thanks, Gary!

'Tis easier to ask forgiveness (or run quickly) than it is to get permission.

4. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

Sigh. Bygones of the glorious steam era. Oh how I wish I lived with such monuments near by. I look forward to see more.

5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    If I lived a bit closer to you ... I'd go.

6. slappy

slappy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    Guildford, Surrey, UK
    A bit like Dirty Harry when Clint ends up in the abandoned mine workings. Nice pics.

7. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Nice shots. I'm envious!

-Chrome

8. Judderman62

Judderman62 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    Greater Manchester
    Mike
    nice and my type of place.

were the last two HDR'd ?

9. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Cool! Is this in PA? And can anyone get in it?

10. Judderman62

Mar 24, 2013
    Greater Manchester
    Mike
    anyone who's happy to trespass :wink:

11. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Shoot me a location.

12. Judderman62

Mar 24, 2013
    Greater Manchester
    Mike
    sorry can you re word that it loses something in translation over the atlantic

13. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Wish you did! Several folks have been threatening to go here with me but schedules just weren't coming together and I finally said, "Screw it, I'm going myself", lol.

14. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Just go up to Gary, Indiana -- crap, that's a "mecca" like Detroit for urbex I would think? Ton's of shut down industry up there although unlike this some is in places with hostile locals, which does complicate things.

15. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Yes and I'll talk to you privately about it and give you some info. It's an easy one to find and get into -- but if you go as early as I did you'll disturb dogs and wake people up... which I wasn't expecting, lol.

16. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Yes, they were. WAY too much brightness from the windows. I'm not happy with how the windows came out in #4 but I like the shot enough to post it.

I only used 3 shots 2 stops apart and I wish I'd used a wider range of shots. The G5 (for my purposes) only does two useful exposure brackets and that's 5 shots one stop apart (I take middle and both ends). and 7 shots one stop apart which would have given me a wider range to choose my shots from -- but I was impatient and only did the 5 shot brackets.

I'll be going back sometime and seeing if I can better myself.

17. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Okay here are some of the rest.

In this first one, notice the "crop circle" like markings on the floor under the agitator cone? Well, the dust is moved there and it took me a bit to figure it out. It's where water drips off the riveted seams and the impact pushes the dust aside. I couldn't figure out why someone would make those very precise markings, lol. Aliens?...

8630161068_157e9a9824_c.
    Breaking Nick: Agitator by Early Light by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

8630160936_40a1339fb6_c.
    Breaking Nick: Early Morning Rust by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

8630160760_338dfe324b_c.
    Breaking Nick: Agitator by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

8629053629_fe0bc489f2_c.
    Breaking Nick: Conspiracy of Agitators by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

8629053263_4e126d36bd_c.
    Breaking Nick: Metropolis in Miniature by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

More "crop circles"...

8630160112_d1c61933a0_c.
    Breaking Nick: Pump and Agitator by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

8630160016_4c67681241_c.
    Breaking Nick: History Blowing Away by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

I'll still have some more, but I'm not sure how many or how good. First time in a huge new place I get overwhelmed and make a lot of mistakes, lol. It didn't help that this was only my second outing with the G5 and the first urbex one.

Here's a couple from the LX7 also. The first one is a single exposure at ISO-800 and the second a handheld HDR at ISO-80 though only two shots ended up getting merged as the brightest shot was blurry.

8629053523_64d0277218_c.
    Breaking Nick: Setup for "Conspiracy of Agitators" by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

8630160384_e9e801141e_c.
    Breaking Nick: Control Issues by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

18. DevilDiver

DevilDiver Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2013
    Corinth, Texas USA
    Shawn Rener
    Great set of photos and what a fantastic location.

19. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Great images, great lighting ... great everything. So where do you park?

20. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Thanks, Gary! It's a fun place and I'll need to go back.

There's a church that's closed not far down the road and hike a little ways in. You're a bit far away but if you get out here I'll take you down there.