1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

AB800 &/ Einstein

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by shanguli, Aug 24, 2015.

1. shanguli

shanguli Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2014
    canada
    I've been looking at the AB800 and Einstein lights on PaulCBuff's (http://www.paulcbuff.com/).
    Am thinking of getting 3 lights. I've been studying the ABs and Einstein and know the specs, etc of these lights.
    I wonder if there are any specific reasons (lighting application, look, etc...) why you'd prefer going with the either of the below two options:
    A- Get 2 AB 800 + 1 Einstein
    B- Get all 3 AB 800.

Thanks for your inputs

2. JBoot

JBoot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Scotch Plains, NJ
    Jerry
    I have a couple of B400 and a few Einsteins.

The key difference operationally is that you can control the Einsteins output with the Cyber Commander if you get the $30 interface plug. While think you can do that as well with the B800's you will need an additional adapter and won't have the same level of control. I've never tried to remote control the B400's with the Cybercommander.

So, if you are working a situation where you can change outputs from light to light or won't need much changing, I doubt it will matter much to you.

So for me, I use my Einsteins for events and being able to have a couple in corners, remote them on or off (via the channels/zones) and control power as room lights change are why I went to the Einsteins.

3. shanguli

shanguli Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2014
    canada
    Thank you Jerry,
    I am thinking of going with two AB-800 and one Einstein strobe. Being able to remotely control my light with Cybersync devices sounds great:
    Cyber Commander seems to be a great device, but it also seems like it only works with AB/Einstein only.... Besides, in order to control all my 3 strobes with the Cyber Commander, it looks like I'll be needing to get the CyberSync™ Transceiver for Einstein (as you pointed out) and a couple of CyberSync™ Receiver Plus (battery) for each of my two AB-800 strobes.

But it seems like these Paul C Buff Cybersync radio devices only work with Einstein and Alien Bess (and that I can't use these radio devices with any speedlight or strobes that are not made by Paul C Buff). So the Cybersync devices made by PaulCBuff seem to be only good for controlling whatever PaulCBuff makes....

I am wondering, if I decide not to go with any of these PaulCBuff's Cybersync devices (as mentioned above), are there any radio devices made by third parties (say, PocketWizard or Radiopopper, etc) that I can use with more than just Paul C Buff lights/strobes (say, my Canon or Yongnuo flashes, etc) when I am not using Einstein/AlienBees.

I know that PocketWizard makes PocketWizard AC9, but these seems to have been specifically designed for use with AlienBees. I am looking for radio devices that are compatible for use with Paul C Buff lights and/Or any other flashes say, Canon, Yongnuo etc...
    So, basically, I am looking to invest in radio devices that I can use with a number of different flashes/strobes (kind of like brand agnostic...)

4. JBoot

JBoot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Scotch Plains, NJ
    Jerry
    You are correct in that all the Paul C. Buff equipment is specific to them and that the Cybercommander will not work with other equipment.

You can get pocket wizard adapters for the Einsteins that plug directly in (no batteries) and then control them from a flex system. The benefit there is that if you use a Sekonic meter you can trigger the pocket wizards with the meter directly.

What I do is use a Custom Brackets Digital Pro-M bracket. I use a sync cord to a shoe on the top to run my hotshoe flash. Then from the sync port on the shoe that is mounted to the top of the bracket I mount the Cybercommander right next to it on a cold shoe. This allows me to shoot with just a TTL show flash when needed (think Cocktail hours or running outside for a quick shot) and then leverage the strobes by just plugging in the cable when desired. ... let me know if this makes sense or not... I can take a pic of the setup and post it for you.

Take a look at Phottix. I saw them at one of the recent shows. They have shoe flashes, studio strobes and a nice controller that can all work together. I don't much about the long-term quality of these units but they are worth a look given they could likely do everything you need. I think the shoe flashes are Mitros+ and the strobes are Indra ... or something like that.

5. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA