Aaagghh! Bricked while updating firmware to 1.2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Tobers, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Tobers

Tobers Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 8, 2010
    Guildford, UK
    Andy
    Gagghh...I've got a bricked OM-D following a PC crash (I think memory related) during the v1.2 firmware update.

The camera won't respond, nothing displayed when turning it on. Tried swapping batteries - no joy. It's dead.

It happened about a minute into this stage which I think is after the software has been downloaded from the internet...and no, I didn't disconnect it. I was using an external powered USB hub through which the camera was connected if that's of any relevance.

c_dl_06.

Any clues on how to un-brick the damned thing?

FFS :mad:

2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    USB connection must be directly to the computer, no hubs. I think the Olympus service center is your only hope.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Send it to Olympus. Not the answer you want, I know, but unfortunately it's the only way.

Any when you do, make sure to complain very loudly about the idiotic braindead firmware update mechanism. It's unlikely they'll ever change it, but being vocal can't hurt.

DH

• Like Like x 1
  4. JimmyK

JimmyK Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    James Knodell
    Odd, compared to what I have to do to update firmware on my Leica, I thought the Olympus update application worked very simply and easily. What do you find idiotic and braindead about it?

5. Tobers

Tobers Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 8, 2010
    Guildford, UK
    Andy
    With Canon updates you load it onto a card and slot it into the camera, which finds the software package and updates quickly and easily It removes the additional point of failure of the PC from the firmware upgrade critical path.

The Olympus route relies on the connection with the PC to be in place, which in my unfortunate situation was the weak point.

I have emailed Olympus amd will follow up with my contacts there tomorrow.

Luckily I have a second OM-D for my trip to Iceland starting Sunday which I won't be updating yet!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Not true. I connected my camera last night to a USB hub were i have all my HDD, iphone, etc. No problem and got the firmware updated without any problems.

7. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    It's stupid to have a firmware update through the PC when they could do it via SD card. As has been pointed out, it adds another failure point (cord disconnected, power failure, PC crash, PC component issues). Why would you want to add so many variable elements of individual PC setups and Oly proprietary software when it's unnecessary?!

/rant mode off.

• Like Like x 1
  8. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    The idiotic thing about it is the screen the OP posted. Its displayed while the camera is being updated. If you click next, you will get a message saying that it cant communicate with the camera. If someone where to get that message at this point, they might think that something has gone wrong and disconnect the cable or worse yet turn off the camera.

Olympus needs to remove that next button, put a nice big flashing warning sign and just go to next screen automatically when the update is over

9. Tobers

Tobers Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 8, 2010
    Guildford, UK
    Andy
    If anyone knows how to unbrick it I'll be very grateful. I imagine there must be a firmware load programme that is used for the initial load as the camera comes off the production line. That would be useful...

10. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Its stupid that the firmware update could even brick the camera.

Have room for two firmware images, copy into the unused area, change the pointer.

Using a double-wide eeprom would cost a couple pennies.

• Like Like x 1
  11. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    In this modern age, where all electronics are complicated and there are inevitable bugs (as the market gets to play beta tester) it's a fact that people are going to need firmware updates on almost all devices. If they're not going to push it out with a simple (click yes to update) button they really should make the process idiot proof. My parents are awful at doing these sorts of updates.

Hell, it always makes me nervous bricking devices when flashing firmware on phones/tablets/cameras etc and I am pretty tech savvy..can only imagine other people sweating through the process.

12. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The fact that it fails not infrequently. Despite selling in vastly higher numbers, I don't think I've ever seen a report of a bricked Canon or Nikon DSLR. I've seen dozens of reports for Olympus bodies though.

DH

13. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    You're lucky, did you read the suggestions set by Olympus?

14. I don't like the fact that it's reliant on a stable internet connection and an external device (i.e. a computer). I would take a memory card based firmware update any day of the week. I hadn't heard of the term bricking until reading Olympus forums.

• Like Like x 1
  15. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    N.Carolina
    And so would Vitaly. Dun dun duuunnn . . . Maybe they'll change the update format if we get enough petitions or bricked cameras. Not too hopeful though.

16. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    What im guessing (and again this is a personal guess), is that connecting the camera to the computer what it does, is not just replacing its firmware, it might also take all the info we look when we go into that "shutter count" menu in our cameras, so Olympus can gather information of camera usage, what we use more, were the camera fails and so on. I dont think its idiotic to update with the camera connected to a computer...no one thinks its idiotic to update your iphone, ipad, ipod, through the computer!.

Personally i was an early adopter of the Fuji X100 and updating the firmware of that thing was dodgy for me. you had to download the software put it into an sd card that had to be formated before, put it into the camera, press tons of buttons and if the process fails you gotta do it al over again...not sure if could brick the camera during the process but certainly while clearing the firmware it got rid of the previous version that could brick the camera.

this is simple. open updater, connect camera, put it in storage mode, click "next" and wait. i dont see the problem in that.

Honestly im not sure what could go wrong with Tobers camera. but i havent got any problem updating my old pen and now OMD at all.

Yes, im an "instruction manual" geek and read every single instruction 2 times to get it clear if needed. and if you go through the updater it doesnt say anything of not connecting the camera into a usb hub. can you send me a link to were it says that. if thats a problem of course im not going to do it again like that! dont want to brick mine! :frown:

17. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I just updated the firmware in my X100 to accommodate the new wide angle conversion lens. The update process was the simplest and fastest I've encountered on any camera, and I've had occasion to update various Canon, Panasonic and Olympus models. The Oly is by far the scariest....

18. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    From the Olympus Updater Instructions:

- Operation is not guaranteed when using a USB port that is not directly part of the computer.

• Like Like x 2
  19. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Unfortunately,
    Olympus has one of the worst firmware upgrade systems out - if it's any consolence, I've seen quite a few Olympus owners who have "bricked" their bodies due to a firmware update gone awry.....:frown:

20. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Yep. The x100 firmware update process is just like Nikon's.