Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by GaryAyala, May 23, 2012.

1. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore!

lol ... not really, but I am frustrated by the lack of OM-D's.

I waited for the first rush to be over to see how the new Oly would behave in the hands of ... well, us. It all sounds pretty good so for the past few weeks I've been trying to snag a couple locally and nada, zero, nyet, zilch in the local brick & motar stores on similar online.

Based on the OM-D, I've decided to get serious with µ4/3 and I've picked up an Oly 12mm, Oly 45mm, Pany 100-300, Pany 7-14 and even a new Domke to hold it all ... but no OM-D (I'm on a number of wait lists).

Today I'm gonna pick-up a GX1 (replace my GF1) to sorta slow down/appease my OM-D induced salivation.

• Like Like x 3
  2. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    A friend of mine got the only one at OC Camera and I had a chance to use it.
    The GX1 looks like a very nice camera, but I would wait it out.
    The OM D is really special.
  3. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Gary....sorry to hear about your difficulty in finding the OMD, and really surprised too. I would have sworn that you guys in the US would have far greater access to it than us here in Australia. There are a number of brick'n'mortar stores here that have it in stock. Like I said....very surprising. BTW....mine will be arriving Wednesday and dressed to impress in all black ;)

Great pickups with your lenses, some top kit right there.

I think I need to now upgrade my F5XB to the larger XC to make room for my new 7-14 and the 35-100 !!!

....oh dear !
  4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I was number four on OC Camera's list ... yeah they only got one, so now I'm number three. As to the GX1, I decided that the indiscreet. rangefinder-esque, boxy looks of the GX1 would be good for everyday, toss-in-my-lunch-bucket, type of shooting. I did get my Domke F-803 there for only $50.

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Maybe Oly is taking lessons from Panny -- weak US$ and pricing pressure means sending less over here :(
  6. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    They seem to be readily available here in Belgium.
    I got my (black) one shipped to me the very next day after I ordered.
    And it arrived two days later ....

Happy OM-D user here :tongue::tongue:

(who wonders what he will do with the recently bought GH2)

C U,
  7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    LOL ... from San Diego to Santa Barbara, nobody has an OM-D on their shelves ... I've called.

8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Maybe, or the market is so large and hungry here that it is over-whelming production. The Oly reps are saying that when promised a dozen they only get two. Go figure ...

9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    You Belgians have it all, great beer and OM-D's ... what's your immigration laws like?

10. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Gary we are in the same boat .I am fed up with waiting for silver OMD to appear on the shelves and bent upon on not getting black one . I m also finding GX1 a good option and thinking of picking up OMD later on . I will sell my EPL2 GX1 and then add OMD later on .
  11. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    17th Street Photo in NY has the silver ones in stock.
  12. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Sorry to hear that, Gary. I kept checking local and online stores here in Germany and got one from an online store in the Netherlands. Ordered Tuesday 3 pm, arrived next morning at 10 am :)

And it's silver, too, as I wanted!

Still struggling with the menus and customization, though: I'm new to m43 and Olympus.
  13. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Gosh, am I the only person on this forum not getting an OM-D? ...I'm getting a I need to put a paper bag over my Gf1 when I go out.
    • Like Like x 4
  14. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    You're not alone, but out definitely feels lately that this :43: forum has been turned into an E-M5 forum. I'm soldiering on with my E-PL1. Despite that it can't do everything the new cameras can, it's yet to be the limiting factor for me.

Sent from my Android phone using Mu-43 App
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    LOL! i'm not (yet) getting an om-d.. i feel like i should wait for a PEN version of the sensor (hopefully they make the newer PENs more like a nex-7, RF-esque) if not, I'm getting the om-d late december or mid next year (let the prices drop)
  16. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Judy, you didn't get the memo? The only camera that can take a proper photo is the OM-D E-M5. And it's not open for discussion or debate... The End.

Chuck (one of the holdouts...)
    • Like Like x 1
  17. acercanto

acercanto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    SW VA, USA
    *covers the mic on his GF1*
    Don't listen to them, baby, they're just jealous that you're fun-size and they aren't.
    I agree, DeeJayK, I am still the limiting factor in my photography, so I'm not sweating it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. allenrowand

allenrowand Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    Gary, I feel your pain! I bought m.Z 9-18 and PL 25 lenses from users on this forum, 52mm polarizer and vari ND filters, and a couple UHS memory cards before I got the camera. Put together a new bag and had it loaded and sitting in my living room waiting for the beast to arrive. Now I'm waiting for my grip and spare battery to ship, and to see if a friend in Japan can find me a GS-4 hand strap.

I'm sure once the new camera smell wears off, we'll all go back to concentrating on what's important- making images :smile:
  19. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    Judy don't feel alone. I am new to m43 systems. Now willing to part with my Canon equipment just yet and me not only being a displaced worker who is still jobless and now going back to school for a career change, I dont have the funds for an E-M5 right now. But hey I need to learn to work my second hand G3
  20. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Maybe that's why we seem to have a plentiful stock in the UK (of Black ones anyway) - our prices are significantly higher than Europe or the US so profit margins must be better! :biggrin: