1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

a7RII

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Whtrbt7, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Whtrbt7

Whtrbt7 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    A7RII: photography pipe dream or technical marvel?
    I keep looking at other Mirrorlessons cameras like this and keep thinking about if these cameras are competitors to M43. On one hand, it would be great to have a larger sensor with high pixel count. On the other hand, the large lenses basically means I would be carrying a lot more weight again. What are your thoughts on such a camera compared to M43 cameras? If you were to choose between systems, would you prefer the A7RII to M43?

2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Different tools for different jobs, the m43 is when you want a somewhat lighter system that's very capable, A7RII is for when you want to show off on the internet.

Both can get the job done well, it's just by different methods and routes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    If the A7RII lives up to its specs it will have no competition from m4/3s. Unless you value compact size or lower system price.

4. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    It will very good competition in price, 3.2k is not cheap and for the majority of users the specs are overkill. For the same price you can get a pretty complete m4/3 system, whereas that's just a body.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

We've discussed this a bit in another thread, but honestly I don't see how they are really comparable. They are in a different league cost wise. I have less into my whole system than the A7RII costs for just the camera body. And I have an enthusiast level camera, 5 primes and two zooms. The lenses are not that compact aside from a few primes in the 28-55mm range. I just don't see it appealing to the typical m4/3 shooter, who obviously made the choice that there are more important things than winning the spec wars.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. taurus9

taurus9 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    BC, Canada
    You mean whether to choose Sony Alpha FE system vs M43?

The A7Rii does look like a fine hybrid camera notwithstanding my bad experiences with Sony devices in general (and I have had many of them in the past) It is expensive but it looks to me the A7Rii is a halo product intended to bring credibility and interest from various users (videographers and photographers) into the system in general.

The lens lineup doesn't appeal to me though....where's the f2.8 zooms? Large aperture portrait lens? And even if they existed they would be very large and expensive - the existing f4 FE zooms are quite large already.

But back to the camera which is where the Sony system is very strong...I'm glad this camera is out in the market and not just in someone's wet dreams. Competition is good and I hope Panasonic counters with a strong competitor in the GH5. I still see in the next couple of years Panasonic having a better balanced system with its strong lens lineup and very good cameras while Sony has state-of-the-art cameras with a mediocre to adequate lens lineup.

7. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    As much as i want the a7rii, I know i will treat it just like my a7r... leave it at home. I prefer to carry my e-p5 95% of the time because if it's size, weight and touch screen. The a7rii will be heavier than the original a7r, and fast glass will just add to the bulk. Unless you're a professional, i don't really see why a casual photographer would want this. you're basically that guy on vacation with a huge DSLR all over again.

I was hoping they would come out with a full frame camera in the form of an a6000 body but no matter how small the body is i will have an issue with the huge lenses. I'm sticking with my e-p5 as a daily driver.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I do not want a Nikon D810 and I see no reason why I should want a Sony. It's like comparing cars and vans: I need the first.

9. VooDoo64

VooDoo64 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Zagreb - Croatia
    Davor Vojvoda
    Sony lens lineup is irrelevant when they stated that a7r mk2 works with Canon lenses such as on the native Canon body ... I'am waiting for a7000, if he will have same senzor with same possibilities I think i will go for it

10. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That very Canon EF (large and heavy) lens range is the reason many went to smaller systems in the first place. A slightly smaller body doesn't offset it much.

11. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    • Like Like x 1
  12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Threads are like bar fights. Little ones break off for no good reason. Not that I would know.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    The original A7 came out and the price stabilised in the same realm as E-M1/GH4,
    this new beast is in a whole different price range and that makes comparing the two systems even odder.
    There are a lot of folk using an A7 and m4/3rds together so they're really not in competition (in most cases.)

14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I just went looking, and indeed the original A7 body is available for $998, or $1300 with the kit zoom. I didn't know they had dropped that far.

15. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    The camera body is heavier
    The lenses are heaver
    The lenses are larger
    The camera is more expensive ($3200 USD!)
    The lenses are more expensive

If you have superfluous amounts of money and don't mind dragging the weight around, go for it. I personally don't have a spare $3000+ laying around for a body-only camera, and really like the size/weight/cost of m43 lenses.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    I have the old ar7 and treat it as my second camera. The e-p5 goes with everywhere. Even if price weren't an issue, id still pick up my m43 gear more for an everyday camera. i only take the a7r out on special occasions when i know that all I'm going to do is take photos.

17. mcumeda

mcumeda Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    It seems like an awesome camera, but I love m4/3's lenses and their size.

I have the 12-40mm, and I just got the 35-100mm, and that is all I really need if I am going light. But then I look at the 20mm and then the 9-18, and I just throw them in the bag too because they are so small. If I going to do some portraits, I will take the 75mm and 35-100mm, but then I can grab the 25mm 1.4 if I want to do some more environmental shots. This is probably all overkill, but the weight penalty is nothing, and it helps add some variety too.

I have a full frame camera, but it doesn't get used as much. The camera isn't that big of a deal. It is all those heavy lenses, especially the zooms. The primes can be light, but nowhere near as small as m4/3.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I don't follow threads like this much, but I have an a7R. I'm curious about the size/weight/cost concerns I see being repeated. My E-M1 with the grip and Pan. 14-45 is bigger and heavier than my a7R with the 16-35mm. When you say the lenses are heavier, many are only heavier by a few ounces. I had the 35mm f2.8 and it was positively tiny. The new Zeiss Batis 85mm f1.8 is only 475 grams - that's only 6 ounces more than the Olympus 75mm. I consider that insignificant. As for cost, the lenses are pricey, but good lenses are no matter what the brand. Isn't the Panasonic 35-100mm $1200? I'm not trying to start anything here, I'm just trying to put things in perspective. I don't favor one system over the other, I enjoy them both. They're different tools.

19. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Well, couple ounces here, couple inches there - and in no time I'll be hauling backpack with my photo gear instead of small shoulder bag.

20. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    If you get a full-coverage lens system for FF and m43, you soon discover that [1] the FF system is still double the size and weight and price of the m43 system, and hence [2] the small body of the a7 is more of a con/mirage than a revolution.

But they'll fly out of the showrooms in the arms of those who can afford them. That's their real advantage.

[edit: formatting]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015