1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A7ii kit for $998 tempting anyone to the FF side?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Christop82, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Christop82

Christop82 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    SonyAlpha a7 II Mirrorless Digital Camera with 28-70mm Lens Deluxe Kit

Curious as to what others think about this. No doubt it's an amazing price for a solid kit. Currently ( before today ) these kits were selling used for more than this..
    2018-11-06 19.41.37.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Like Like x 2
  2. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    Not tempted at all. Done with FF - it's too bulky and heavy (hauled various FF systems around for 30 years), and the ergonomics on the Sony cameras are horrible. Even the sales people at Best Buy in my area say it.:eek-31:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Jay_M

Jay_M Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jul 30, 2018
    AZ
    If you have a need for really high ISO low noise shooting occasionally, I would imagine someone could/should have a cheap FF just for that? Switching your entire camera kit over though... seams a bit overboard just for that reason (to me).

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Great price, but the Sony cameras don't really do much for me.

5. Christop82

Sep 10, 2016
    Well the biggest complaint of m43 is poor handling of noise. I could see someone wanting a FF kit for indoor shooting, or when higher resolution is desired for landscape or cropping.

6. Jay_M

Jul 30, 2018
    AZ
    I find my f/1.4 prime works well enough for me in challenging light, and the 80mp mode very useful for landscape. I'm no pro though.

• Like Like x 2
  7. sesser

sesser Zen Master Subscribing Member

Mar 10, 2015
    Portland, OR
    randy
    They are truly soulless beings.

That said, I'm really glad I sold mine (body only) for $750 last week! :) 

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Christop82

Sep 10, 2016
    Nice timing. I'm thinking the sale will end when sony builds a Christmas surplus of a7iii's.

9. DanS

DanS Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    I agree, if you've got $1k to spend, most people would be better off spending it on proper video lights.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. ac12

ac12 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 24, 2018
    Nice price.
    But too much cost for me to change from Nikon DX to Sony FF, as I have a bunch of Nikon lenses that I would have to duplicate in Sony mount, which would more than eat up the price difference. Going to Nikon FX (D750) would be cheaper.

11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I bought an old A7 and the Rokinon 50 1.4 just to try it. I could have gotten this for bit more. Oh well, it was an impulse buy and I often regret those.

• Like Like x 1
  12. WT21

WT21 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I rent FF for the 1-2X per year I need it. I used to buy them, and other than those two times I used them, I watched them depreciate on my shelf. Renting means I can have the newest, and I pay a fixed amount with no guilt :) 

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 10, 2010
    Kiillarney, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    if I lived in the USA (and wasn't paying with Australian dollars) and didn't already have the older model, yeah ... but as none of those three are ticked ... nope

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Christop82

Sep 10, 2016
    The original has a couple of advantages. It's thinner , and has a better build with the sweet large metal dials..

• Like Like x 1
  15. Saledolce

Saledolce Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Apr 17, 2017
    Italy
    A7 ii, yeah very tempting. I don't think we have any offer that aggressive in Europe at the moment, but I would seriously think about it. I'd prefer to save 100$ and get a body only, as I'd probably try to build a 35/85 f1.8 kit...

16. Telonson

Telonson Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2017
    It would be nice to try out with the full frame vintage manual lenses in my collection. No more crop.

Wouldn't want that Sony lens. Their lenses are generally awful.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Wow Wow x 1
  17. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    True. I like feel in the hand. I just feel like the god of thunder when I hit the shutter release.

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. Jay_M

Jul 30, 2018
    AZ
    The lens quality is the biggest issue I have with deals like this. EM1.2 comes with 12-40 or 12-100 Pro lenses, and G9/GH5 comes with PL 12-60 or 12-25 f/2.8 II lenses. Of course this Sony is priced against much cheaper kits, but people will tell you those MFT lenses aren't any better due to the dreaded aperture equivalence (no argument please).

19. Telonson

Telonson Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2017
    Wouldn't matter to me.

Would immediately sell that garbage Sony lens and use the body exclusively for vintage and manual focus lenses. Would never buy a single Sony lens. They're grossly overpriced and generally poor quality.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  20. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

My problem is that you need fast lenses to take advantage of that. The f2.8 zooms for Sony are expensive and huge and f4 only nets me maybe 1/2-1 stop over m4/3 with f2.8.

There are a few primes that are competitive with m4/3 (28mm f2, 50mm 1.8, 85mm f1.8) but that's about it.

I was tempted on Sunday when I saw that price drop. But as usual, once reality of a lens kit settles in, the temptation fades.

(After visiting Phillip Reeve's site, there is a little residual temptation to buy one and use an adapted FD or MD mount lens kit with it, though! )

• Agree Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.