A7 vs m43 image comparison

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by RamblinR, Jan 4, 2015.

1. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    If anybody has both cameras I would be very interested to see a comparison shot of the following with the same framing:

A7 with 24-70 f4 vs OMD with 12-40 f2.8 (or panasonic equiv)
    • 24mm f4 vs 12mm f2.8
    • 70mm f4 vs 35mm f2.8

If I were to go FF I would look at the A7 but would opt for the lighter f4 lenses so would like to see how they compare
    Interested in compression and bokeh

Thanks to whomever may be able to assist with this. :)
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Hi Maria, you might consider also posting this at Talkemount.com :wink:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    I used to test the A7+70-200 f/4 combo against G5+40-150 f/2.8

and sorry I don't have any direct comparison shot because I deleted the Sony pictures. as I remembered the most distinguishable difference was actually not noise, DOF, DR, sharpness, but the WB and colour of those OOCs and RAWs.

[​IMG]P1060239 by jyc860923, on Flickr

this images, was from the m43 combo, RAW tweaked in LR to match the OOC WB and colour of A7's. and when it's matched, the difference is really very little or even not existing for my purpose. of course there will be difference between FF and m43 and I can't speak for others. still I have to say, Sony has got excellent JPG output, better than I have seen from Olympus cameras; when compared to A7, my m43 combo lacks the "readiness" with OOC and relies a lot on PP.

the A7 raw has clearly better S/N and DR but I don't think that's usually shown In the OOCs, the OOC shows strong contrast and usually need to be pulled back a little IMO. m43 raw can easily match the OOC results with RAW.

and I apologies this seems not what the OP is expecting:rolleyes: just wanted to share some thoughts.
  4. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I would be very much interested in this comparison too. Sony 6000 can be thrown in the mix as well. I see a lot of people saying that unless you print big, FF is not needed. When browsing FF photos, I see better tonality/color range in general and also DoF control even at smaller size pictures optimized for web.
  5. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    You can read Tim Ashley's 24-70mm review:

I compared 24-70+A7R to Panasonic 12-35mm and it was similar, eg extreme corners might be better with 12-35mm at 12mm but the rest was much better with A7R eg more detail and micro contrast... Here is the 24-70mm image thread at talkemount:

Here is also A7+16-35 compared to A6000+10-18mm with same 24MP:
    • Like Like x 1