A year with the EP5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by D7k1, Feb 20, 2015.

1. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Last year during the presidents day sale, I got my EP5 for $525. I was able to sell my EPL1 with the original 14-42 for $100. Got a 14-42 R from cameta for $100. I had the VF2, 40-150, Mcon1, and the LED lights from my EPL1. I added the Pany 14mm _ GWC1 and the Sigma 30mm over the year. My EP5 with these lenses is my perfect travel camera (I've taken about 4K of images with it over the last year). The biggest down side is the video codec, but I've learn what kind of subjects give the codec problems and I know batch process all of my files to ProRes in Mecalli Pro and find the video good to very good even for post. Put this camera on a tripod and look at your video, you might be very surprised.

I'm still using my D7000/D7100 and don't see leaving Nikon anytime soon. But I will always have a small travel camera like the EP5 (with the 14mm and no EVF fits in some kind of pocket I'll have on). I've found the quality of m43 to be very similar to my D7000 - which is good enough for me - even landscapes. The incredible software control offered by the EP5 and the external controls mean that this is a serious camera. If it had been $200 cheaper and had the Zero shutter shock setting up front I think the market would have really embraced it. There is something about the design and feel that makes me love this camera.

Perhaps the biggest thing is the IBIS, it is one amazing piece of technology. For someone first entering M43, I'd recommend the new EM5 II just on that alone. When traveling without a tripod, and you are tired and walking (think 4 hours in 110 degree heat in the desert) and want to take a picture in lower light nothing works like this IBIS.

So, I have less than $1,000 in my entire system and I feel if the EP5 and the lenses I have were my only camera system I'd be very happy. In fact, I'd say that I'd be happy for a very long time. I buy camera gear for very specific reasons, and I can say that the gear I have (which cost less than almost all of my Nikkor lens each) has exceed my needs and expectations. If I'm gonna print a bill board, well that is what my D7100 is for, but for 24" x 36" prints and down m43 exceeds everything I want. And perhaps that is what is really wrong with m43, starting with the EM5, Olympus (and Nikon with the D7000) created cameras that were like film cameras, they are so good that for me, there has to be a very compelling reason to spend another $1,000 or $2,000 on a body.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Agree with all but the second and the last paragraph. I've sold my Nikon, not because of IQ But because of weight.
    Bobby

3. TaoStory

TaoStory Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2014
    Benton Harbor, Michigan
    Tom Remisoski
    I'm also a year in with my E-P5 and I love it. It was basically an upgrade for my E-PL1. I have really noticed an improvement in low-light performance. I love the looks. I have the white model with silver Oly lenses and I seem to get better reactions when I'm out doing street photography in my resort hometown on Lake Michigan. The IBIS is amazing. Although heavier than the PL1, I can still comfortably walk around all day with it.

I'm intrigued by the new E-M5 Mk II, mostly for weather sealing and the 40MP feature but for now, the E-P5 is working for me nicely.

4. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I upgraded from an E-M5 because I loved the control layout of the E-P5 much better. I like what they've done in upgrading the E-M5 II but will wait for the E-M1 upgrade as it will probably have all the newer features plus (I'm hoping) a hand holdable 40mp sensor shift.
    Bobby

• Like Like x 1
  5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yea - the E-P5 is a lovely camera. If only it had a built-in EVF, I'd still have one.

6. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    wouldn't that be the E-M5 then...???

7. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    I adore my EP5. My only complaint is that the rear dial has a tendency to go bad -- I'm on my third rear dial and it's acting flaky again, which is a real shame. I'd love to use this camera forever.

8. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    After a year, I really like the E-P5 and it complements nicely with my used E-5 and there's nothing these 2 bad boys can't handle except maybe extreme DOF and extreme low light shots and higher megapickles. It sounds like the new E-M1 successor is looking to be a game changer. It'll probably be time for me to upgrade. But right now, I'm actually looking to grab some more BLN-1s.

9. rkris

rkris Mu-43 Regular

Jun 15, 2013
    EP-5 is my first m43 camera. I really like the design, the handeling and the output. So far I have just paired the EP-5 with primes (12,17 and 45). It is a great little camera compared to my rather large Nikon D800. Now that Olympus is releasing the OMD EM5 Mark 2, I am ready to invest some more in the m43-system. I also think that I have figured which additional lenses to get. This time I will try their excellent pro zooms which will give me more flexibility than the primes with little or no loss in quality. Most of what I shoot is in the range of 12-45 mm, therfore the 12-40 f/2.8 is a given. If I am getting the 40-150 f/2.8 I assume that I should also get the battery grip for better handeling. These two lenses should probably cover of most of my needs. Although I'll keep the Nikon D800 until Olympus eventually mangage to improve their continous af.