1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A weekend of Lacrosse (image heavy)

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by nstelemark, Oct 12, 2013.

1. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    This is the first real weekend I have had a chance to shoot with the E-M1. These are all shot with the 50-200 and tracking AF (7 fps burst). All OOC JPEGs. TRacking AF works superbly with the E-M1. In no particular order:

PA120019.

PA120044.

PA120096.

PA120122.

PA120152.

PA120157.

PA120174.

PA110238.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  2. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

Nice! I think I'd like to pick up one of these lenses. You did well with it.

3. pisanoal

pisanoal Mu-43 Regular

Oct 29, 2012
    Thanks for sharing these! This is a sport i miss very much from my high school and college days... especially living in middle-of-nowhere, kentucky. Great shots

4. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Great captures. A friends son is going to be playing this year and I hoping to shoot some of the games.

5. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    Larry, now that this thread is live again, how would you rate the E-M1 tracking nearly 3 years later?

6. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    It is funny you should ask, I was thinking the same thing. At the time the EM-1 was just released and the tracking was much much better than anything the EM-5 could manage.

I remember shooting this quite well. The tracking would lock onto a player and then lose them again when they went behind another player, losing the lock in the process. Regaining lock was pretty painless. I would have to go back and look at the images to see the hit rate, but it was decent. Most of these were crossing shots which are easier for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    Good to know as I am planning to shoot my son's lacrosse season with the E-M1 + 50-200 this year. With the E-M10 + 75-300, I was mostly shooting S-AF. I would definitely try and experiment with C-AF (and tracking) to see if it helps.

8. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    There are some good threads on optimizing moving subjects AF with the E-M1. The approaches have varied a bit with the different firmware releases. I would look these up and follow them as a starting point.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    I am really looking forward to the EM1mk2 with it's in camera focusing limiter. That will breath a new life into this lens. After shooting almost exclusively with the 150/2 for 16 months I got spoiled by it's focus limiter. Far superior to having instant access to manual focus that the SWD gives you. But having in camera focus limiter and instant access to manual focusing, that could really make this lens sing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    I find tracking hit or miss, yet to figure out exactly what conditions it likes because it seems so random. But in most sports the players movement is pretty predictable, so just using a single large focus point works very well for me ( I move it all the time for composition also).

• Informative Informative x 1