1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A week with the Olympus 75-300mm f/4.8-6.7 II

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by JSM, Mar 19, 2014.

1. JSM

JSM Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 12, 2013
    Newcastle, Australia
    Following a couple of poor, I mean very poor reviews of the M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm f/4.8-6.7 particularly from HybridPhoto.Pro, I had to find out for myself.
    So I borrowed the lens for a week and tested it out for myself.

So what did I get up to and were the critics correct?

Fast sports under lights - Pass although the lens is slow at f6.7 and it was a late afternoon / night game so I had to crank the ISO up.

20140308-P3080048.

Slowing down the pace and went for a stroll in Blackbutt Reserve - Pass, some great smooth Bokeh

P3150023-4.

At Redhead Beach Newcastle with friends in bright sunlight hand held - Hand held at 300mm (600mm equivalent) Now that 5 axis stabilization on the E-M5 is showing off.

P3160004-2-4.

My Conclusion of the Olympus OMD E-M5 with the 75-300mm f/4.8-6.7 II

The critics could not be more wrong. They blame the lens before themselves. Know the gear, know its limitations and utilise it properly.
    This is a great versatile set up and offers great value for money at under $550 (AUD) . Worth adding to my bag and many other E-M5 users. My full account with the lens can be seen below:

http://theshutterjournal.com/2014/0...ympus-m-zuiko-digital-ed-75-300mm-f4-8-6-7-i/

Let me know of your experiences.

JSM

• Like Like x 15
  2. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    I agree, many critics seem to be unaware what exactly they are handling and doing. At the long end, the 600 mm field of view does requires some awareness of things like air condition (heat distortion or even the slightest haze will cause problems that have little to do with the lens itself). The slow aperture is not that much of a handicap, wider openings would often result in too little DOF. Even with a faster lens stopping down is often required to get even one object in focus.

All in all it is a surprisingly small and light lens with great possibilities and good image quality.

3. JSM

JSM Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 12, 2013
    Newcastle, Australia
    I agree Janneman. For a 600mm equivalent and at 400g it felt light and was much smaller then I thought it would be. It was a very fun lens and the focal length I don't normally shoot at brought something new.
    Cranking up the ISO on the E-M5 is not an issue for me either. I feel it handles upto 3200 preety darn good.

4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It works pretty good for me!

OC072240-Nat-adj-s.

Although, I'm still hanging out for a faster aperture lens for indoor concert use.

• Like Like x 5
  5. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I think the main complaint is that you can get the Panasonic 100-300 for around the same price, and it is faster and has OIS. If you plan on using bodies without 5-axis IBIS, the OIS is a better choice on a lens that long.

• Like Like x 2
  6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Terrific photos! It is a fine lens, but I still prefer the P100-300. I use an E-P3 and the OIS in the lens seems to work better for me at 300mm than the camera IBIS.

7. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    Good point madogvelkor, these kind of lenses need something in the way of image stabilisation or a serious tripod (and a lens collar would not hurt either). That is the one thing I would have liked even better with those lenses; a detachable tripod collar. Other than that, I don't think there is that much difference between the panny and oly.

8. JSM

JSM Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 12, 2013
    Newcastle, Australia
    I have to admit I have not utilised the Panasonic 100-300, I have a soft spot for Olympus lenses as they are that bit smaller and having the E-M5 no need for the weight of stabilisation in the lens.
    So the Pany, a little bigger, a little heavier but arguably a little sharper in some opinions and made for more cameras being with or with out IS. So a lot of good points you have raised Madogvelkor.
    I need a friend with one of those to test out for a week.

9. JSM

JSM Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 12, 2013
    Newcastle, Australia
    Looks preety good to me Ross. Well Done.

• Like Like x 1
  10. mallmand

mallmand New to Mu-43

Sep 20, 2012
    I kept a 100-300 around far longer than I should have because of all the negative reviews on the oly, I was never happy with my shots. Now with my new 75-300 I am blown away by the sharpness and color. Maybe I had a lemon.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  11. JSM

JSM Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 12, 2013
    Newcastle, Australia
    I believe this forum and a few experiences have put the negative reviews to bed. The Olympus 75-300mm f/4.8-6.7 II is a great lens for the Oly body.
    I do hope a version III is in the mix that's a bit faster for lower light levels.