A week or so with the Panasonic 20/1.7

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dixeyk, Mar 8, 2011.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    When I first got the lens I was not as impressed with it as I thought I would be. Now that I've spent some quality time with it I'm ready to jump on the bandwagon. It's quite remarkable. The image quality is wonderful. The sharpness, contrast and rendering are all terrific. It may not be a Summicron but it's easily the best native lens I have. I think my Pen-F 40/1.4 might be a bit better...maybe.

I haven't taken it off since I got it. Who needs a Fuji X100? My EPL-1 and the 20/1.7 is just fine by me. The most interesting part of this is that I find that with the 20 the EPL-1 is just as useable WITHOUT my VF2 (AF is my friend).

Angry Birds!
    • Like Like x 5
  2. intense

intense Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 14, 2010
    I am trying to choose between that lens and the oly 17 mm pancake which is significantly cheaper. Why did you chose the panasonic over the olympus?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. kytra

kytra Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    I wanted an E-PL2 but I have purchased a GF1 kit only because the 20/1.7. I must say now that the GF1 is a keeper, maybe in the future will upgrade to an E-PL3 if panasonic's JPEG engine will not improve.

1. the fastest AF m4/3 lens
    2. excellent tests and user opinions all over the 'net
    3. the "normal" FOV of the human clear sight is said to be around 43 degrees - the 40 degrees offered by this prime on m4/3 bodies come the closest
    4. it is small

1. slower AF than the kit zoom
    2. not compatible with continuous focus
    3. AF is not silent if you make clips using onboard mic

Anyway, it is a little gem. As one former owner of the famous FA Trio from Pentax as well as the Pentax 40mm DA pancake, I miss the metal and glass construction of those little gems, but the 20/1.7 seems sturdy enough and well built.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    The 20mm Panny has become one of my "all time" favorite lenses. I love it.
  5. icase81

icase81 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2011
    Philly, PA
    I know I chose the Oly 17 because of price. I got one for $160 shipped with 2 quality B&W brand filters. I have no issues with the 17 at all, and to be honest, if you took photos with each and showed 100 people, chances are that 99 of them couldn't tell you which was which, and the 100th would just be guessing unless you were in really low light. Then again, maybe my eye just isn't educated enough to tell the difference.

I have the same other 2 lenses as you as well as an OM 50mm f1.4, and have no qualms with them. I have less money in the 17mm and 40-150 combined than it costs for the pan 20mm new.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I had the 17 for a few years and it is a very nice lens. I mostly bought the 20 to see what all the fuss was about. I sold the 17 and figured if I didn't like it I could sell it, buy another 17 and have money left over.

The 17 is no slouch and when I had it I didn't feel like I was missing anything by not having the 20. Now that I have the 20 I can safely say that the 17 is still no slouch and for the money the 17 is a bargain (at least with U.S. pricing). I find that I prefer the focal length on the 20. It's also sharper (although not by THAT much) and the fact that the 20 is faster means available light photography is easier.
  7. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I would agree. Most folks would have a hard time telling the difference. There is a difference but it really depends if the difference is enough to justify the price difference. It's like HiFi, most folks can't tell the difference between a decent Yamaha $500 receiver (sound wise) and a $3K Mission integrated amplifier. The DO sound different but if you've never heard one then there is no point of reference. However, once you learn to hear the differences it's very hard to go back.
    • Like Like x 1