1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

A watch to go with your camera

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by OzRay, May 22, 2014.

1. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yikes Ray. Anyone else think it's HEINOUS?!?

• Like Like x 4
  2. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Looks like I just lost my last bit of respect to Leica...

3. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    yeah I would not wear that.

I haven't worn a watch in around 10 years. my wrists are allergic to any accessories.

my phone shall be suffice for now.

14247150862_f0e3540287_c. my phone by Will Solis, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I wonder if Leica is going to bring out clothing and other trinkets like Ferrari, Porsche etc do?

5. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Eh i have seen watches in both prices below and higher that I like better. I dont really like it.

Your prejudice shows towards Leica branding.... Canon, Nikon, Pentax and I recall Olympus have made commemorative watches in the past.... Some of them pathetic cheap crap that those companies should be ashamed to put their name on. A Nikon one is still available new from BH for 40 usd..... probably worth half that price. Also, The price of Leica Valbray is inline with the other Valbray watches which start at $15k. There are people with watches in the $50k mark....

Oh yes.... there are Leica branded watches that were given as gifts too. They are sold on the open market at much cheaper prices.... typical timex prices. I know a dealer that has a few... you genuinely interested? Or where you just trolling and starting this thread without good intention?

6. Dewi

Dewi Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    Lancashire, England
    Dewi
    As a bit of a collector of Watches - nothing fancy, I have a bit of penchant for Japanese Seikos and other cheapish stuff - I have to say that thing is hideous. It looks like it was designed by a committee

7. usayit

Its based on a preexisting Valbray design. Here is what the non leica version looks like.

http://thewatchlounge.com/valbray-oculus-v-01-chrono-argentique-things-are-not-as-they-appear/

Note it indicates that this is Valbray (i am not totally familiar with them) first collection. Leica recently did a collaboration with Audi's design team... I have to say the results were much more impressive than this Leica Valbray watch.

8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    This is my timepiece (it's far more than a mere watch): :biggrin:

External-Antenna-Telstra-ZTE-T96-patch-lead_0.

9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I still wear a watch. Cell phones are like pocket watches but larger and harder to get in and out of pockets. $25K is a bit steep, however.

10. usayit

In certain cultures, you show that you have become a man/gentleman once you can afford to buy a timepiece. I stopped wearing watches once I graduated from college. I spend most of my days behind a computer which always displays time. On weekends and time off, I could care less what time of day it is except whether it was morning, afternoon, or nighttime. Even then.. I still have my phone.

Watches have become a status symbol... practicality takes second place. No different from buy a car with a luxury brand. I can't help but feel that this Valbray watch is gimmicky and tacking on the Leica branding doesn't increase its value as a status symbol. If I were an extremely wealthy individual and I had my choice in watches, I always found this one absolutely stunning:

http://www.rogerdubuis.com/en/colle.../quatuor-limited-edition/1874-rddbex0408.html

I believe it is over a million USD... so I doubt I will ever even get to try one on.

I also have been partial to this one which is "affordable". Came close to buying it until I realized it would just collect dust.

http://www.luminox.com/watches/land/?watch=A.1945

Interesting enough, other than my fossil skin and my engraved pocket watch from my wife, I don't own any other watches. I've always loved the look, engineering and artistic design behind them. I'm way too down to earth, practical individual; I wouldn't have nice enough attire to wear such high end watches. I dress daily via a stack of varied dockers/cargos next to a stack of neatly folded short sleeve polos. Once in a while I splurge on Izod.

I've been toying with getting this one "just because".... $35 bucks.. eh.. might be a neat novelty item to have. Heck it even has a "red-dot" at the top of the hour... I could almost play it off like it was intended to be a Red-Dot "Leica" Watch. LOL

http://photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/f-stop-watch/

• Like Like x 1
  11. mario23

mario23 Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2014
    FL
    I have 10 watches... We eiko, invicta, tw steel, gshock. Love them but I'm hoping some nice android watches are coming soon like the moto 360.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

12. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    They're nice watches, Ray, but too late.

I retired a few years back and haven't worn a watch since.

Otherwise I'd have bought three or four of the Leicas...you know, a few to show and one to go :biggrin:.

Regards,

Jim

13. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Back in the day I had a job which was rough on wrist watches so I carried a pocket watch. Reach in pocket, flip the cover, read the time, close the cover, replace in pocket.

Now, some four decades later I don't wear a watch but do carry a flip phone. Reach in pocket, flip the cover, read the time, close the cover, replace in pocket.

:biggrin:

The only difference - my pocket watch has (yes, I still have it) much more style than the flip phone.

Regards,

Jim

14. usayit

Moto 360 looks nice... only one I would consider if I just had to have a smartwatch now (i don't). The other android watches all remind me of calculator watches of the past... a bit too geeky. I'm hoping a technology company collaborates with a watch maker to deliver something truly stunning in both the technical and esthetics.

15. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I think that Leica thing looks ugly as sin... which is disappointing. They had an opportunity, and they got it sort of right with the aperture blades, but the watch face is not camera-oriented at all, and the metal grid looks annoying.

I hate wearing watches, and I also hate the idea of status symbols - I'm so very egalitarian you see. But I do enjoy looking at fantastically expensive watches just for kicks, some are incredible. But for practicality's sake, I want nothing to do with something heavy on my wrist that just tells time.

I would, however, use the heck out of a mechanical pocket watch. I don't want one with a battery. Unfortunately, the truly mechanical ones are nearly impossible to find.

16. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim

17. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Uh oh, why are you pointing me in the direction of another desirable but unnecessary expense? I already go here to fuel my GAS ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    If you suffer GAS for cameras, I advice definitely to stay away from watches.... :)

I just love this classic look, very reasonable price

i_2013_2.

And the other one I use regularly

[​IMG]

19. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Ooh, Swiss metro design! Or is it Bauhaus?

•••GX1+LVF-2+Olympus 17mm f/2.8, GF3; Konica FS-1, C35v; various lenses•••