A walk in the park with only a G1 and a Nikkor 300/2.8 IF-ED

f6cvalkyrie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hi,

this morning, I wanted to go for some test cq training shooting with my new Nikkor 300/2.8 IF-ED. And a tripod, of course, no way you could shoot with this combination handheld !

This is how the combination looks

sized_013.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

and here are some of the first training shots with (fast) moving animals.

sized_P1090024.jpg

sized_P1090027.jpg

sized_P1090033.jpg

sized_P1090035.jpg

sized_P1090038.jpg

sized_P1090040.jpg

sized_P1090043.jpg

To be honest, it's a heavy burden, this combination with the tripod bringing more than 7 kg of weight.
And, also, the manual focusing and the very narrow DOF when shooting wide open, ask for high precision, and is slow to operate.
So, I missed quite a lot of shots :frown:

Comments and critique highly appreciated !

C U,
Rafael​

cosinaphile

Mu-43 All-Pro
wow what a lens , a 600mm eqiv on full frame at 2.8, i wonder what that would cost,

your lens for that matter was very dear im sure , really nice shots

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
I give you a great deal of credit for carrying that!

My favorite is the horse with his winter coat because he's very appealing to me. I am very impressed at by your capture of the chipmunk due to his speed. The swan photos are both very well done - beautiful birds - the detail in your first is super! The excitedly cheering onlooker has great color and her hands show the thrill she's just had, and that group of daffodils is very pretty, though the tree bark looks a bit greenish to me via my computer.

As I said, I really love the horse, he's got character and I think the colors and use of DOF has worked really well to show him off.:biggrin:

Porky4

Mu-43 Regular
Hi Rafael, :smile:

Absolutely stunning shots and what a great lens. :2thumbs: But 2500 dollars? That's more than my car's worth! :frown: But then again, I can't afford a Bentley either! :biggrin:

BTW doesn't the size of that lens make you feel a little "inadequate"? :rofl:

Paul :cool:

PS, when I grow up I want a lens like that!

Porky4

Mu-43 Regular
Raf,

I've just noticed on the Lazy Horse shot there are some horizontal OOF lines across the image just above the horse on the ground. Was it shot through a fence, or something similar?

Paul :cool:

f6cvalkyrie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hi, Paul,

those are OOF lines caused by the fence behind the horses.

C U
Rafael

No, they aren't, they seem to run through the horses also, so they must have been between the lens and the horses.
I absolutely must look better next time !

cosinaphile

Mu-43 All-Pro
they seem to run thru the first horse , but i dont think they do, in fact i think its just an
illusion as the tones of the horse seem to mimic the horizontals of the fence like out of focus highlights

if the fence was in front of the first horse , then it would be also in the standing horse too unless the fence ends ....but wheres the post??? which would have produced an even more pronounced artifact

jmho

f6cvalkyrie

Mu-43 All-Pro
OK, I just went back to the RAW file, and, you're right, cosinaphile (you must have a first name too ?), the wires do not run through the horses, so they are behind them, like I thought at first view.

That doesn't mean that they are not disturbing, just that I did not miss them when shooting :wink:

Will see tomorrow if I can clone them out ???

Here's the magnified proof :biggrin:

sized_P1090043big.jpg

C U,
Rafael

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
That's a nice lens. I have the 300mm f4, which you can handhold with IS on (to a reasonable degree). I'm going to see if I can get new access keys to a local bird sanctuary and put the m4/3s gear to use.

Cheers

Ray

apicius9

Mu-43 Veteran
I just thought that with the 85mm Planar and the 14-140 my camera bag fills up very quickly and gets heavy but this lens is something else - and costs more than my car also :) But the pictures are really great, thanks for shlepping the lens and posting the pictures.

Stefan

Latest threads

Top Bottom