1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A View from the Shard

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by sam_m, Dec 29, 2013.

1. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Finally managed to get an opportunity to go up the Shard. Too many it is a rip off for what you have to pay, but for me its worth every penny to see London with views like this. Was quite hazey when I first got there, but too be honest, came away with an interesting image from this, but when the sun set the city lit up. Was fairly difficult shooting through the 2 layers of glass with regards to reflections and if you shoot at an angle it effects the sharpness towards the edges of the image (not sure what this is called) but again, the IBIS saved the day by allowing me to shoot at a low ISO as you are not allowed to use Tripods up there. I used the 14-140mm before the sun had set, but 20mm f1.7 and 45mm f1.8 for the night shots.

Oh and I lost my eyecup!!! had this OMD Em5 since the day it was released and typical I had to loose it in London!!!

wharf by Sam_C_Moore, on Flickr

11624978764_5905bc50d0_b.
    st pauls by Sam_C_Moore, on Flickr

11624844593_055774924f_b.
    fog by Sam_C_Moore, on Flickr

11615865716_2997245fbb_b.
    The Grid by Sam_C_Moore, on Flickr

• Like Like x 29
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Spectacular views

3. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    Absolutely amazing. I think I like the last one the best.

4. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Great shots, number one is my favourite.
    Interestingly the cost is roughly equivalent to 'at the top', Burj Khalifa. The Burj is over twice the height though!

5. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Wow! Fantastic images. I just put the shard on my list of first places to go the next time I am in London.

6. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    How much do they charge?

7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Stunning images. I hadn't realised that they had a viewing platform. Must do it one day (how much does it cost?)

8. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Thank you everyone, I have been meaning to get up there since it opened at the beginning of the year. It is £25 a pop, and there are two 360 degree viewing platforms... Floor 69 and then stairs up to 73. Once up there you can stay as long as you want. I would definately like to go again with a faster tele lens.

9. gotak

gotak Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Toronto
    No shot of the tower?

Great images. I didn't go up when we were on our London Paris trip last year but should have done a night trip just to get these views.

10. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Delightful photographs. I live quite near the Shard, so it might be worth a trip. You mention that there is an open viewing area on the 72nd floor, but one would have to be 7ft tall to photograph above the glass; does this mean that a 7ft tall person would have to hold the camera aloft, hands over head, or would a 7ft person be able to take photographs at a normal angle? If the latter, than presumably a 6ft person could take photographs using the former means with the LCD tilted downwards?

11. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Stunning shots, excellent work as always Sam.

WOW!

I happen to see a very similar shot with the A7r just now, and your pictures look way better. As always, it is the person behind the camera who makes the biggest difference.

12. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Thank you and not really anything special this time, I do have one just outside whilst waiting for the Train from London Bridge, [​IMG]

There is some netting aswell which doesnt help. I am 5`11" and struggled to reach high enough. A few people were jumping up to get the shot, but it didnt really work that well haha.

[​IMG]

Thank you very much, but I would love to try out an A7r :D. The OMD Em5 never seems to let me down. I wanted low ISO, sharp and low noise as possible images and it did me proud.

13. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Ahh, interesting, thank you. I wonder whether a monopod and remote release would assist...?

14. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    Absolutely bloody lovely, if you'll pardon my French!
    The Shard's now back on my to-do list. Is there a bar up there?

I tend to find most city viewing decks have a (free to enter) bar with similar priced drinks to the viewing gallery entrance fee - so at least you get a drink to go along with the view! Paramount at Centre-Point's another good one if you haven't been there. Sushi-Samba also has good London views (both with Skyscraper drinks prices!)

15. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    That was something that crossed my mind aswell, but they are strict about tripods and monopods and will take it off you when you go through security, although I did have a joby tripod and it was in my bag which went through the xray scanner with no issues, so it could be worth a try I guess.

16. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Outstanding shots, incredible views!

17. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Great photos!. I just flew home from London yesterday myself. We had an amazing flyby of London on the way in right along the Thames, but had my camera in the overhead bid...arrrggh.

18. mf100

mf100 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2012
    Sawbridgeworth, England
    Matthew
    Great photos. I have been putting off a visit to the Shard because of the price, but seeing these photos is making me reconsider.

19. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    • Like Like x 2
  20. joeyjiang

joeyjiang Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 2, 2013
    Thousand Oaks, California
    Joe Jiang
    great stuff!