1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A video series on nature photography by biologists (using m43!)

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Arachnarchy, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Arachnarchy

Arachnarchy Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 9, 2015
    A couple weeks ago we started a youtube channel called CritterSnap. We are four biologists from the USA and Europe, and use photo/videography as part of our work. The topics are gear, techniques, and animal science. Two of us are exclusive micro four thirds users (check out Sören Franzenburg's great macro shots, he uses the Olympus EM5). The newest episode is here:

We're still pretty new at this youtube thing, so I'd very much appreciate comments and suggestions.

• Like Like x 3
  2. faithblinded

faithblinded Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    Interesting video. I'm off to watch the first one. Which one are you?

3. faithblinded

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    Oh just noticed your name, you must be Daniel. Can you share a link to somewhere we can see some of your spider photography?

4. Arachnarchy

Arachnarchy Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 9, 2015
    Indeed I am. I need to get more of my recent photos online, but the best place would be my flickr, and my personal youtube for some jumping spider videos. Here are a couple:

5. faithblinded

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    Wow, fascinating spider videos. I love observing courtship behavior, in any species.

As to your channel, at present it seems like an undirected conversation between friends. I'm not sure it would be clear from the 2nd video that you are all scientists. You certainly have the raw materials to create something unique and different, but you'll need a plan to do so. You need a producer, or one of you needs to step into that role(3rd party is probably better). Answer some basic questions for yourselves, and develop a more structured format, based on the answers. Have a plan about topics and material to cover, and stick with it. Find a way to use your specialties, and the skills and knowledge that come with them, to enhance the show, and provide something unique.

I think you guys have real potential. More scientists should be trying to share their passion with the world like this. You could certainly offer something unique to the youtube community, if you develop your niche and deliver consistently interesting content.

6. Arachnarchy

Arachnarchy Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 9, 2015
    Thanks for the thoughtful feedback! We originally planned this as an audio podcast, which is a format that probably works better as a long, natural conversation. However, the ease of recording with Google Hangouts, plus the possibility to show photos led us to use youtube instead.

We do plan out topics for each episode, but only as starting points for discussions rather than fleshed out contributions. We're currently having an internal debate on how scripted vs. conversational we want to go. The last episode (#2) was definitely more loose than we would like, but the next one in our queue will go much more specifically into a biological direction (tips for finding and shooting dragonflies). In general, we want to stay away from details of our own research, unless they directly involve photo/video of animals. We'll have to find the right balance between tech talk and biology. You're absolutely right in that we have to make the best of our backgrounds to provide something new, and we'll work on that.

7. Arachnarchy

Arachnarchy Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 9, 2015
    Here's the new one, going into detail about insect macro shooting.