A Very Modern Cat

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by akulya, Nov 23, 2010.

1. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    I have a little story, about a little cat
    if this already worries you; Your browser should go "back"

Milo's story is quite sad, but has a glad conclusion
    living a very modern life, now with some confusion.

(more seriously, it may seem to parody an illness, but please do not be offended, this is a lighthearted photography documentary)

Hi, I'm Milo,
    This is me a few weeks ago, and if you think I look a little pensive, you would be right. As hours after this photo was taken I was on a drip fighting kidney failure! Gosh!

And after spending £xxxx [CENSORED] on me, the least I could do was grant my owners the leisure to anthropomorphise as far as they please, but English is my second language, so excuse any typographical or grammatical errors.

Here is my story,

For reasons unkown (i.e. idiopathic ones) despite having access to every luxury a Very Modern Cat may enjoy, I found myself quite unable to pee!

Ouch! Of all the cats in the cotswolds, "Blocked Tom" struck me.

Having never been to a vet before, I did not enjoy the indignity.
    Not. One. Bit.

I was kept in confinement for several days and nights before being released, (curiously, for the inverse of the usual reason prisoners are released early) as I made it quite clear that I would really rather be anywhere else than here today

Grateful for my freedom, and reunited with my "primary feeder" I settled - as well as one might with a catheter sewn in-to ones privates.

("primary feeder" cropped out at her request)

With all the excitement over (or so I thought) I got on with some extended convalescence; selecting with considered opinion "Primary feeder's" winter clothes at the bottom of a carelessly open wardrobe.

It could almost have been bespoke to my needs.

Sadly, the end was not so near.
    Another (ahem, expensive) emergency later, and my ever helpful housing providers, were asked to make a serious desicion on my behalf - was I to risk surgery? A perineal urethrostomy should solve the problem, they said.

What could I do, but trust their judgement?

So I bode fond farewell to "Old Tom" and mulled the new name "Mila" over a few times.

"Will I be my old self again?" I asked
    "we hope so" they replied

They were right!

Being transgender has been a little confusing, but I've had the post op all clear, and I've been off the drugs for over a week now; I feel like a new wo/man!

And they all lived happily everafter :)
    • Like Like x 8
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

I'm so glad to read and see that Milo/Mila is all better!:clap2::clap2:

We have to feed our one male cat what I refer to as million dollar cat food due to a problem that might have been similar to Milo's - the formation of crystals.:eek:

Your cat is very fortunate to have such devoted people to take care of him.:2thumbs:

Many thanks for your modern day tale/tail.:wink:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    What a story! I'm glad that Milo is OK after all that. :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  4. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Milo should have a good life. Our old cat Spider, who died a few months ago at 17, had kidney troubles for the last 10 years. He sort-of self regulated his problem by gulping down gallons of water.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. nolaSafari

nolaSafari Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    New Orleans
    Our 13 year old Schnauzer also just had bladder surgery to remove stones. He is also on the expensive diet. He has had a slow recovery and is doing much better than a few weeks ago. It is worth every penny to help out our pup, he has brought so much joy to our family. It is good to see so many here feel the same way about the their furry family members.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Thanks for the well documented story and good luck Mila - you have 7 lives left.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    Thank you all,

Yes BBW, Milo enjoys a million dollar diet as well, and because it's cheaper in bulk, we suddenly had to find somewhere dry and cool to keep 45Kg (100lbs) of cat food!!

NolaSafari, about their drinking habits; as cats supposedly prefer to drink running water, we ended up (after several exhausting days between the vet) buying a water fountain. Which has elicted no more than amusement from the fickle creature; I shall continue to leave my bedside pint of water on the floor, and discard it in the morning, as at least I know he dips generously into that!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Great story akulya. I love how the cat told the story- he did a great job didn't he. Went through a bit tho in the process.

It's good you are better now Mila. Keep kicking.:smile:
    • Like Like x 2
  9. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Kal, great post! :thumbup: My cat Turbo had the exact same situation as yours. He had a blockage and I had it removed/cleared.

About a year later he had another blockage (and another close call) and he had to undergo the surgery as well...

It's been over a year now and so far (fingers crossed) he's doing fine. He definitely did not have enough water in his diet; a big flag that I had overlooked was dandruff. He's a staunch dry food addict!
    Turbo and his sister are on 100% canned food now. :tongue:
    • Like Like x 1
  10. nolaSafari

nolaSafari Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    New Orleans
    Our vet prescribed wet or dry, Freddie would drink a huge amount of water with the dry then would have problems passing his waste. I finally went to half canned and half dry. I grind the dry food up in a coffee grinder and add it to the bowl with canned food and some warm water mixed in, it has done the trick.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Beautiful story :smile: