1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A used G5, GH2, or GF5?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by atlanteankodex, Jan 6, 2014.

1. atlanteankodex

atlanteankodex New to Mu-43

Jan 6, 2014
    Hi everyone,

I used to own (and really enjoyed) my old GF5 and old GH1. I basically only used these cameras with the lumix 20mm lens.

The time has come to get a new camera (I stupidly got rid of my old GF5 and GH1) and am considering purchasing a used Panasonic on ebay. I'm going to be using the camera in a variety of contexts, from backpacking through the southwest, taking starry night images with the shutter open for up to 6p sec, to using it in my studio to take still-life images... I'm going to pick up a couple of lenses in addition to my lonely prime.

I am totally open to getting a used G5 or GH2, but do you think I should also consider simply repurchasing a used GF5? I probably won't be using the camera for video so much (or at all, for that matter)

Thanks in advance.

2. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    These bodies are very different. The G5 and moreso the GH2 are a good deal larger than the GF5, but on the flip side, have plenty of extra features.

What do you care more about? Is it portability? If so, you might want to look at the Olympus EPM2 or Panasonic GX1. They should cost about the same as the G5 (used or new), yet not much bulkier than the GF5, and they offer a large improvement in image quality (specially the Olympus, though you pay for it in the form of build quality).

The G5 is one of the best value M43 cameras, but its build quality is more plasticky than the GF5 and GH1. If this doesn't bother you, this may be the body that best suits you. If you'd prefer something with more metal, look at the GX1 and GH2 instead.

3. atlanteankodex

atlanteankodex New to Mu-43

Jan 6, 2014
    thanks! i've been pouring over dpreview all morning and the Olympus OM-D E-M5 is looking more and more attractive too

4. Manu-4Vendetta

Manu-4Vendetta Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Dominican Republic
    For still best the G5 or G6.

5. qppoiz

qppoiz Mu-43 Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    NJ
    Here's my take on the GF5. I've been using a GF5 for little over a year. It was somewhat of an impulse buy after my aging p&s disappointed me majorly with some Thanksgiving pictures.

Coming from a minuscule p&s I was blown away by the image quality, but I quickly learned it's drawbacks (for me):

-Noise past ISO 1600 is very noticeable. Almost makes you wonder why the thing is rated past that.

-No hot shoe. The built in flash swivels upwards so you can bounce it, but that's it.

-No viewfinder. I also do a lot of film photography. I actually put my GF5 down for a few months and focused on film photography. Being able to frame shots through a viewfinder (or the ground glass on a TLR) is extremely satisfying. Add to that the fact that holding the camera to your face adds an additional anchor point, so those low light/slow shutter speed shots are less of a hassle.

The above has me looking to "upgrade" to a G5. They don't go for much these days and they take care of most of the above.

I WILL keep the GF5, though. I still think it's a good camera but it definitely made want to upgrade very quickly.

6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Sure, that sounds sensible ;
    NEW G5 kits are around right now for silly money = cheap!

7. ramseeker

ramseeker Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 18, 2013
    Grand Island, NY
    Jim
    I think a used G5 is one of the best deals in micro four thirds right now. For the price you'd pay for an EVF, you get an entire camera body WITH a built in viewfinder.

8. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    2 Questions for the OP:

1) Will you primarily compose your photos with the rear LCD, or with a viewfinder?

2) How much are you comfortable spending?

If the answer to 1 is with the viewfinder, your best choices are: For under $300 the Panasonic G5, For under $600, the Olympus OMD-E-M5 (If Video was more important, the Panasonic GH2 and G6 would also be worth looking at).

If the answer to 1 is with the Rear LCD, your best choices are: For under $200, the Panasonic GX1, For under $300, the Olympus E-PM2, For under $400, the Olympus E-PL5

9. BillW

BillW Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Scranton, PA
    When I bought my G5, I had the option to pick up a new GH2 for a bit more money. I didn't.
    I wish I did because I realize now that the video features the GH2 offers outweigh those of the G5.
    BUT...that's it. If stills are your main focus, and you don't need mic inputs and more video control, then go for the G5.
    I'm totally happy with my G5, and even considered picking up a second one. It's only the video features it lacks that I miss.

10. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I'd take a used GX1 over a GF5 if you like that body. If you like a DSLR and a viewfinder, a G5 is a better deal. The GH2 is basically a G5 with better features.

Since you mention the 20mm, you might like the GX1 best. I've used the combo quite a lot in the past, and found it very nice. For telephoto I found the G5 body easier to use though.

11. zacster

zacster Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2011
    I just picked up a used G5 for my daughter to replace her E-PM1 that died, and she is thrilled with the viewfinder, the easier controls and the built in flash. The isn't so thrilled though with the size. It barely fits into her camera bag. Her lens set is just the standard Oly 14-42, and an Oly 40-150. She also has a Pentax adapter and a bunch of old Pentax lenses from my old film camera. We haven't tried them yet with the G5.

I'd consider a GX1 myself, but of course it lacks the viewfinder.