1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

A travel album from my recent trip to Alaska. Please critique.

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by bfenner, Jul 24, 2012.

1. bfenner

bfenner Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2010
  2. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Nice shots.. that 7-14 works well for you.. and you know how to use it..

3. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Congratulations - a wonderful set that really makes me want to visit the far north!

For me the only weak points are a few of the extreme WA shots (presumably with the 7-14mm?) where I feel it's more about the lens than the image. This is thoroughly personal of course, but it's the reason I sold my 9-18mm and replaced it with a Samyang 7.5mm and the Panasonic 14mm. I find the fish-eye forces me to be much more careful when I want an ultra-wide view, whereas I was starting to over-use the wide end of the Olympus 9-18.

That said, you've also used the same lens to great effect to suggest the extreme space of the landscape.

The whale/dolphin/seal photos are especially good - what lens did you use? Ditto many of the mountain pictures.

4. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    A great set of photos! My favorite is the whale shot you used as album cover. Totally awesome!

My only complain is that most of the photos appear a little dim on my monitor (I am pretty sure is was due to PP). Maybe it is due to the different brightness settings of different monitors.

Note: I went home and looked at the album at my home computer again, and confirmed that the dullness was due to the poor quality of the monitor at my office!

5. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Lovely little set. Might want to check horizon on a couple (the one on the road with the camper, for example). Really makes me want to go visit Alaska (and the rest of the great white north and Arctic) soon...

Another suggestion: for those slightly 'hazy' distance mountain shots, try playing around a little with curves in photoshop or your editor of choice - I often find it lets me punch up the contrast just that little bit more. Works wonders on shots out of airline windows, for example :)

6. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    We lived in AK for many years in several different parts of the state. And you have captured the true AK. Very nice set!

As to comments on Pics. You have hit the highlights just right, but the shadows are under exposed and everything is a bit over saturated. Gives that dark "brooding" look. But the wide contrast and unique AK lighting, is difficult to hit the "just right" exposure.

I really enjoyed the pics. I still have two children and several grand children, living in AK. From KY we look back with good memories. But the long winter cold, and old bodies don't coexist easily.

7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Very nicely done. I agree that the shadows seem a bit underexposed, but I know the light can be challenging in AK.