A tough to crack riddle !

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mauve, May 2, 2012.

1. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    As reported in this article, Olympus has just started a new marketing stunt, sending a cardboard box with two wrapped walnuts inside, and a note reading "coming soon".

There's a high chance this campaign is about the imminent launch of the latest incarnation of the µ-tough, which existence was inadvertently revealed when bestbuy made a colossal gaffe on their website.

Nevertheless, until we know for sure, there may be some surprise for us :43: crowd - maybe some waterproof lenses to complement the EM-5 ?

Even if the news is about a µ-tough, it's still an interesting reminder of Olympus long standing tradition of being able to manufacture extremely rugged and durable products, perhaps the strongest and most reliable cameras on the market. All pens before the OM-D having been somewhat more on the diva side, this may come as a surprise to people unaware of Olympus history. The µ-Tough line of cameras carries high this tradition, each model being at least as tough as nails, and probably tougher.

We can only dream of a cross-breeding between µ-tough ruggedness and :43: image quality. But perhaps that's the promise that lies in that box ?

Ps. Amin, if you feel this news more worthy of serious compacts, please move it there as I don't have an account on :43: sibling website.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    My guess is two new pens. EPL4 and EPM2. Same 12mp sensor, but with the EP3 touchscreen.

The two walnuts might be related to the touch series of cameras but why 2?

Either it's two pens, or two touch series things. Only other thing I can think of, is a new series of under water tough cases for the Pen or EM series.
  3. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    How about the two new lenses.
  4. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    This is what Olympus is sending to everyone waiting for their OMD's ..."Coming soon"
  5. 250swb

250swb Mu-43 Regular

Are you sure they are walnuts and not the testicles of the deposed Olympus board members? A fitting apology indeed! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  6. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    If you look at the pics from the bestbuy leak, it looks like that tough camera has a mini "OM-D hump." It doesn't have a hotshoe, so that hump must be for IS. It advertises advanced IS in the stats as well. It's pretty cool that the OM-D IS tech appears to be trickling down to other cameras already, albeit in a watered-down form.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Perhaps, but it can be where the GPS lives, as advertised. By the way, that's something I would have found ridiculous on my camera a couple of years ago, that I miss more and more as my volume of digital pictures grows.