A time for giving

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by 0dBm, Dec 4, 2013.

1. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Instead of buying something, anything, I went to a homeless shelter and donated about 3 hours of my time helping with various tasks a few days ago. A few weeks ago, I shot HD video of five military families and uploaded them to their own site so that their active duty member serving overseas could view them.

I have far too many things and decided to give some to those families. Three point and shoot cameras otherwise collecting dust went to three of those families.

Was saving for the Voigtlander 42.5mm, f/0.95, but decided that one of those families needed a brake job on their well-worn '89 Accord more. Oh, well. I'll start over again. I missed the money for about 3.76 nanoseconds. Accord is a real piece of crap but brings them home safer.

Sat with a Vietnam War-era vet and treated him to espresso and blueberry oatmeal bars at Starbucks while he told me about how he lost his right leg when he jumped off a chopper, but continued fighting. He winked at me after telling the story and said some of the story was BS due to the morphine. He is my late father's age.

Not pontificating. Just felt like doing something that didn't involve me acquiring something.
    Not looking for thanks. Just giving thanks for the freedom that our troops allow us to enjoy.

Just babbling. No response necessary.
    • Like Like x 5
  2. violanyarc

violanyarc New to Mu-43

Dec 13, 2013
    California, USA
    To give

It is a generous act.