A thought that came across my mind

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by inuini2005, Aug 14, 2013.

1. inuini2005

inuini2005 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    I might have raised this question somewhere but this idea comes across my mind again. Now Sony has an RX1 or even RX1R, which are of the size of small compact cameras with full frame abilities, I just wonder what's the future of M43s would be. Will M43s be a short lived system and eventually replaced by compact full frames? Also legacy glasses, say with a 50mm lens it becomes 100mm equivalent on M43s which makes things less flexible to me, so in case Oly makes a full frame compact where these M43 lenses can be used then it would be perfect.ImageUploadedByMu-431376461518.909768.jpg
  2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    You can't use m4/3 lenses on a full frame sensor camera, the imaging area would be too small to fit the larger sensor, right?
  3. inuini2005

inuini2005 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Yaya but I mean will someday M43s companies move to compact full frames leaving M43s as history :)
  4. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Oh. Well the disadvantage of m4/3 going away as I see it is that all the lenses would be useless on any other system. Which would suck.
  5. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    so far there is no solution yet on how to reduce the size of those Full frame lenses.

No matter how tiny these cameras become, the Fullframe lenses will always be bigger than the m43 lenses. So I think mu43 will have a bright future :smile:
  6. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    I don't see that day coming. although there's an end to everything, M43 might go down after some time but that's not because the 2x crop factor. cameras change from time to time depending on the development of optical and digital design, our system might not be perfect but certainly not every camera needs to be equipped with full frame sensor, whatever the size is, there's a reason.
  7. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    Staring deep into the future on how a FF sensor might impact M43.

Well we kind of know that a FF mirrorless 'camera' doesnt need to be big but that the lenses that go with it might be unacceptably large at many focal lengths. So for instance we might want a 35/1.4 or 50/1.4 on FF but a x2 crop 35-100 2.8 might also be a good size.

Now that flexibility could be achieved one of two ways....

1) A FF sensor is 4x larger than M43. So a 64 MB FF sensor would result in a 16MB crop M43 sensor. That being the case you could make a mount that accepted both FF lenses - say 35/1.4 and 50/1.4 and crop lenses - say 35-100 2.8 which only resolved the same M43 crop of the sensor.

2) The other way of doing the same process is to potentially include a sensor in every lens - a bit like the new Sony smart lenses. So a 50/1.4 could include a 50mb FF sensor and a 35-100 2.8 a 24mb M43 sensor. It doesnt make much sense at current sensor prices but they are falling fast.

These sort of technologies would suit me - offering the best of both worlds.
  8. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    A 64 MB FF sensor cost will be sky high, it might also need ti use a tripod every time to get sharp image to crop, and a razor sharp lens? I do believe these big branding company could make it happen, but they won't made them for consumer electronic, probably in professional field and the price is out of reach.
  9. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    That simply won't happen, current m43 glass is just too small to cover a FF sensor.

As far as "FF" m43 bodies - you can bet your butt that any company making a compact digital 35mm format interchangeable lens system is going to charge a king's ransom for it - the RX1/R's are already push at $2800.00 for a fixed lens system.
  10. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    Sounds a bit like the Ricoh GXR system...

I'd love to see a system where sensor "modules" could be upgraded, and different sizes could be mounted... But no one makes that camera yet. Also, if they did it may well be out of my price bracket.

Sent from my XT885 using Mu-43 mobile app
  11. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    'Full frame' is not the be-all and end-all its made out to be. And I say that as someone who shot full frame almost exclusively for the past 5-6 years before 'moving' the MFT. The portability and per pixel quality the smaller sensors yield, and the impressive range in a small packet mean 'crop factors' are here to stay.

That said, a 'second system' with a full-frame sensor (think Leica sized but with AF and non-absurd prices for lenses and bodies) appeals greatly to me. Because the size of the gear (and thus lack of use) is making me very strongly consider selling all the DSLR stuff.
  12. inuini2005

inuini2005 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    I mean technically if Sony can create the RX1R, though currently lens changing is impossible, I do believe someday interchangeable lens system of compact size FF may come true, I even think they have the ability to do so already but just a technique of marketing to postpone the launching of these items so as to make money. And if that really happens I wonder what sort of effects would it have on M43s.
  13. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    The speed boosters/focal reducers might be something you want to read into. It will make your 50mm 1.8 lens a 35mm f1.2 or something like that.
  14. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Sony's ff mirrorless is already being designed. They have already announced this together with the price... greater than $US3000+ :eek: Coming next year.

m43's advantage is the trifecta of reasonable price, small native lenses and overall awesome quality. Folk who shoot ff old SLR lenses are very much in the minority of the m43 community. We are like that crazy aunt that people tend to avoid at family get togethers. As such, I don't see a big impact on m43. I see a bigger impact on Canon and Nikon.

Edit: just to tag onto tj's post above, get the Metabones Speedbooster and a 35mm f2 or f2.8, and you have your fast nifty fifty. m43 bodies are very flexible :2thumbs:
  15. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    The RX1 is only the size it is because it has a fixed, single focal length lens, and they were able to put the shutter and aperture diaphragm in amongst the lens elements. The rumoured Sony FF mirrorless cannot do that, the shutter has to be in a void between the sensor and the rear element, so the lens will stick out more. And as soon as you try to put a zoom on the thing, well look to it being twice the size of the existing NEX pancake zoom in all directions, at least.

Full Frame and small is only possible with restrictions.