1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

a thought based on 5 axis IBIS

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jyc860923, Sep 2, 2013.

1. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Maybe it's crazy but I hope Oly can see this.

Is there anybody with me to think it'll be nice if the sensor can rotate itself to upstraight within a small range of degrees based on the 5 axis IBIS, and make that optional to enable by an Fn key? With that can save a lot of people's post processing. Since we already have electronic level in G5, GX1, why not just make it smarter?

Please tell me I'm not really crazy because I always check lines inside a photo to see if it's straight and I've had enough of that.

2. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    So what you are wanting is something that automatically straightens a horizon? is that right?

I think I have seen something like that on a video of a video camera from Panasonic. I think it is a great idea for video but for stills? Not convinced I would use it. Although options are always nice to have.

3. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Interesting idea...and one that may actually be viable...

4. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Thanks, I haven't been looking at video cameras much, but I think we can probably have this option in a few years(why keep us waiting?)

So that's what I mean, but it has to be made optional, or to what extent of a tilt shall be corrected by rotating the sensor automatically. I know that sounds making photography even more about the gear than about the human behind it:redface:

5. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    You mean level shots like in TZ40?
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEaBJvILIeg]Panasonic LUMIX TZ40/ZS30 "HYBRID O.I.S.+ / Level Shot Function " - YouTube[/ame]

6. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
  7. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
  8. Hagane

Hagane Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2013
    Limburg, Netherlands
    I'm a bit sad to see that Panasonic has 5-Axis stabilization and tilting correction in a TZ-camera, but not in the GX7...

9. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    No doubt we'll see that in GX8:)

Sent from my M040 using Tapatalk 4

10. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Interesting function, nice to see that it can be turned off. There are times that I would prefer to compose shots that are not perfectly level.

11. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    Might be handy to have this feature, although I use the level meters often and still, in many situations the appearance of level is different in the cropped final proof than the reality, depending upon factors of perception.

12. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    The pentax K5 has this feature (upto 1° if using SR, 2° otherwise) - it only needs a 2 axis IBIS.
    It's not overly useful however as sometimes the in camera level can be wrong!

13. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Here's what I'd like to see:

At some point the computational power of the processing chip should be such that it could automatically compute the angle of view of an image and thus already know the focal length being used to maximize IBIS's effectiveness. No more punching in legacy lens focal lengths...

14. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Pentax has had this feature for 5 years. I'm pretty sure it's patented by them.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Mu-43 mobile app

15. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Pentax actually uses a 5-axis IBIS which can compensate for rotational movements. They just don't call it that.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Mu-43 mobile app