A tale of Olympus Service Plus

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Peejay, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Peejay

Peejay Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2014
    Paris, France
    Last January, after having shown signs of weakening for some time, the rear dial of my EM1 finally gave up the ghost and wouldn't give me the time of day anymore, strangely at the same time my 12-40 lens decided that it didn't like the AF mode any longer. I was feeling a bit nonplussed but managed to pluck up enough courage to call Olympus Service Plus, fearing the worst.

The start was not too auspicious, although I reside in France, the Service Plus contact number is in Germany. Well it didn't go too badly after all, the chap at the other end was (unsurprisingly) not surprised with the rear dial problem and as for the lens, when he started to explain about the focus ring and the focus clutch mechanism, I immediately cut him short. After that, things went very quickly, I was given an appointment the following day with a DHL courier and I received shortly after that a confirmation email complete with forwarding label to print.

The courier arrived at the given time the following day and picked up my carefully prepared package. Afterwards I received regular health bulletins from a hospital in Portugal, just kidding of course, however the wait didn't last long as I got my gear back in less than a week.

I unpacked feverishly, quickly did some testing and hallelujah, everything seemed to work perfectly. The accompanying health bulletin listed the following :
    - Re. the body : replacement of top hood, replacement of electronic card, firmware update, checking and cleaning.
    - Re the lens : firmware upgrade , checking and cleaning.

And that was it, I must say I was suitably impressed by the whole thing, KUDOS TO OLYMPUS !
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Nice to read something nice about manufacturer service.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Der@

Der@ Mu-43 Regular

May 29, 2013
    Yes, Olympus has in fact an "hospital" in Coimbra, Portugal. I have had a very good experience with them too. More or less like yours. They had sent DHL to pick up the camera and in one week I had it back. All free of charge/under the guarantee.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  4. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    I just learned about this service, but unfortunately, it's not available in the U.S. I wonder if Olympus is planning on expansion...
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. EMC

EMC Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2013
    Garden Grove, Calif.
    Here in the USA, having a problem with my EM-1.....call for Olympus America and I do believe I get India, very poor English, poor OMD knowledge, all they do is qualify your call to talk to a tech.......days later, I talked to a tech.......sent pictures to be analyzed, waiting.........called back and said could not figure it out, still waiting........Service? Plus? We'll here's my tale.......or tail!!! Jjjjeeeezzzzz!
  6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I had to send my E-M1 to Portugal too for the rear wheel problem (via Olympus UK). The camera was back within a week, totally fixed and with a new top-plate too. Very impressed.
    • Informative Informative x 1