A sunrise question for any Londoners

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by ijm5012, Jun 8, 2015.

1. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Later this month, my wife and I will be traveling to London for a week. I really want to get a good sunrise photo with The Scoop & Tower Bridge in the frame, and have been looking at Google Maps to figure out where I'd like to set-up to get the image.

My question pertains to timing though. At what time should I target being in my location in order to get some good sunrise photos? I'll be staying over by the St. James Park stop for the Tube, and plan to take the Tube over to the London Bridge stop. I referenced a website that tracks sunrise & sunset times, and it says that sunrise should be at about 4:45 AM that day.

I was thinking I should be there by 4:15, but would love to hear from people who are more familiar with the area and timing.

Thanks!

2. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Does this help at all?
    8987f01c2616743847802a65d099883c.

3. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Meh, I mean it confirms the sunrise time, but doesn't answer my question about timing regarding when I should be in my spot getting everything set up (that's something only a local could answer I suppose).

I just hope the weather cooperates the morning I'm planning to do this. Fingers crossed...

4. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    This doesn't answer your question, but do you mean you plan to take the Tube around 4am? I didn't think it ran that early?

5. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Good point, I didn't even think of that. I checked on the Tube's website, and first "train" is typically a few minutes before 5 AM. I'm planning on going on Sunday morning, which has an even later first train. I'll probably have to schedule a cab to pick me up that early in the morning. I'll bring my iPhone/iPad and a pair of headphones to kill time while waiting for the sun to rise.

Thanks for pointing that out!