A Study in Developing a Plan

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by nueces snapper, Sep 19, 2011.

1. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I've been thinking about this image for a couple years. I know it's there. I just have to catch it right. The photos below are not attempts. They are just a study in perspective.

I have to catch this at dawn or sunset within a couple days of a rain. The best would be in 'storm light'. That incredible golden glow you get when the sun peaks out near sunset from beneath dark storm clouds near the horizon. Maybe someday.

It may take me years to get it right.

Anyway ... which of the two perspectives here is the better. Better any way that occurs to you. Any suggestions or ideas appreciated. :thumbup:

Right now I'm thinking maybe I need to get up on a ladder another few feet. ???
  2. bobbywise

bobbywise Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Nantes, France
    The second has more depth to it, and I think would give a better impact when your ideal conditions arrive :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I prefer the perspective of the 2nd.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. nueces snapper

Thankyou people. I agree. The two above are stitched from three verticles at 42mm. The one below is just one shot (cropped) from 14mm. I stood on a rock about 2 ft high. I kinda want to post it here just to see it next to the other two as they look in this forum. Feel free to comment. :thumbup:

5. nueces snapper

Something happens when you have one of those lines of water running straight away from the camera. Don't have a rock over there though. :biggrin: I'll take a ladder out there tonight and see what happens. Maybe I'll get some pink and orange. Perhaps a big thunder cloud in the sky lit be the setting sun. (dreaming) :biggrin:
  6. brianvickers

brianvickers Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    I like the last one best. Of the original two I think the second is better...more foreground because you were either further away or used a wider angle...on the second one you were a bit further to the left? It might just be the wider and shorter dimensions/aspect ratio of the image that makes it better for me.
    Have you tried a square format with distant beach line about a 1/3rd from the top of the frame. I d also try getting lower so the foreground features are more dominant and hold attention before being drawn in by he converging lines. Worth working on - I wish I was there to have a go myself.
  7. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    You say sunset or sunrise? Have you calculated from which direction the sun rises and sets at various times of the year, to get the effect you want? This location has loads of potential. :smile:
  8. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    I agree that the second one is more eye catching and I also have the feeling it could be even better if shot from a bit lower down to the ground. I know the kind of light you mean and it will certainly take some patience to catch it

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App