1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

A stroll round Aviles

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by angloasturian, Apr 17, 2010.

1. angloasturian

angloasturian Mu-43 Veteran

Aviles is my nearest town of any size (population 85,000). Originally Roman, it became an important fishing and commercial port in the 8th and 9th centuries. It received the nickname ‘The Athens of the North’ before, in the middle of the 20th century, they built a steelworks (lots of coalmines here), quickly followed by an aluminium works, zinc works and fertilizer plant – all of which changed it forever. They built thousands of pretty horrible flats to house all the workers who flocked in and, as a whole, the town lost a lot of its character. Luckily the old, central part survives.
    Sorry for the History lesson, but it helps to realize how lucky we are to still have these beautiful buildings and streets.
    I shot in black and white because I think it expresses this subject better ( and also because it was my first love).
    Starting from where I parked we first come to a square called locally ‘El Parque’ (The Park) – although there are several others. It’s just across the road from the port.
    [​IMG]

The statue is of Pedro Menendez (Aviles, 1519)
    [​IMG]

and the plaque says:
    [​IMG]

To Pedro Menendez of Aviles
    1519 – 1574
    Knight of the Habit of Santiago
    Viceroy of the Ocean
    Governor and Conqueror of Florida
    Where he founded the city of San Agustin
    In the year 1565
    A very nice bandstand where there are regular concerts in the summer by the municipal band

[​IMG]

Now I’m heading for the main street, but on the way we see this statue

Aviles_20.JPG

Which will probably ring a bell if you’re an art lover. It’s of Eugenia Martinez Vallejo (nicknamed, rather cruelly, ‘The Monster’) and is based on a painting by Juan Carreño de Miranda (Aviles, 1614). He was a court painter (Carlos II) and a friend and protege of Velazquez whose painting ‘Las Meninas’ shows women just like her. They were the Infantas’ (princesses) companions and were chosen because they were the same height as they were.

Now we come to the old Sabugo church and its little square

[​IMG]

and the two bar/restaurants next to it

Aviles_23.JPG

down a street nicknamed ‘La ruta del vino’ (no translation necessary!). This was originally where all the action was, but this has now moved somewhere else (see later)
    [​IMG]

We come to the main street with the new Sabugo church (in fact called ‘St. Thomas of Canterbury) at the bottom

[​IMG]

and after passing this elegant building (now the main office of my bank)

[​IMG]

and this
    [​IMG]

and a brief stop in a shop (sorry W.Ray!)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

we arrive at the Town Hall square
    [​IMG]

On the opposite side is an old palace converted into a five star hotel
    Aviles_28.JPG

A street at the side of the Town Hall
    Aviles_13.

Now up towards the present ‘Ruta del Vino’ passing this church (13th century)
    Aviles_6.JPG

and a rather original drinking fountain (17th century),
    Aviles_4.JPG

passing this
    Aviles_5.JPG

and the Conservatory of Music
    [​IMG]

This lovely street has the equally lovely name of ‘Galiana’ and is just one bar after another. The street is pedestrian and in the summer is a solid mass of people.
    Aviles_7.JPG

Aviles_15.

At the top you can enter the Ferrera park
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back to the car!

A request. Please give honest and forthright answers to these two positions:
    1) Just post the photos and forget the history lessons and explanations.
    2) It's OK as it is (but you can qualify this if you want)

Many thanks

• Like Like x 4
  2. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Nice photo essay. I like that you have chosen to show both details and long shots. Many images work very well. I especially like the detailed images. Only one that doesn't work well is the vertical church over exposed on top.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Please continue to post both your photographs and the history/cultural commentary because I really enjoy having them both together and find the stories fascinating - for example "The Monster"!:eek:

I really mean I like to have both because for me even though a photograph can stand on its own, in many cases I find it interesting to know more about the place/building, etc., and frankly will probably never have the chance of visiting in real life...so I like to have the vicarious pleasure by reading along with your photos. I also appreciate your personalizing your descriptions with your wit, as well.:smile:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Thank you very much for the tour.... In my mind...I was there......
    I'll follow your threads like this cause your saving me a lot of travel money....
    Thanks...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Vic B

Vic B Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    I prefer having both the photos and the commentary. I especially liked the photo of "The Monster"; it evoked a spontaneous gasp of amusement (which maybe wasn't the effect intended).

I would have liked to have seen color versions of the shop interiors. In my experience such photos really tend to sparkle when they have color as well as shape contrasts.

Vic B
    Photo blog: http://blog.lib.umn.edu/victor/hereandthere
    Blurb books: http://www.blurb.com/search/site_search?search=victorb&filter=bookstore&commit=Search
    Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/84029090@N00/

• Like Like x 1
  6. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    Texts

If a photo is worth 1,000 words, then add ten words and it equals 10,000 words! So keep the short captions , they add to our experience.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Thanks a lot Colin for that great travelogue....I enjoyed it thoroughly and it would be an incentive to others to visit that particular part of Spain. Keep posting both the images and the descriptions....just great!!
    I would love to see the same images in colour!!

Thanks again.

• Like Like x 1
  8. franklyspeaking

franklyspeaking Mu-43 Regular

I love the journey the photos create. The sense of immersion is strong with your images and your text helps deepen that.

I really like how well these photos play off each other and how they seem to purposefully move from one to the other. On a side note, I am green with envy when seeing your environment. It's a tad more scenic than the starbucks, strip mall church and park down the street from me. ;)

As for the text and commentary, I love the added detail and your post leaves me wanting more, so I'd say post what comes natural and post it often!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Colin thanks for this wonderful series. Excellent work, great description.
    How is weather in Spain?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    It even looks nice in the rain! Thanks for posting such an interesting series.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ajramirez

ajramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 16, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    This is fantastic! I really enjoyed it.

Thank you,

Antonio

• Like Like x 1