A strap for just the lens?

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
So I’ve done some gear shifting, sticking with my 40-150 2.8, but going for primes on the wide end that can fit in a pocket. With that approach, I can carry all my gear without much effort, and I’m looking to just put a strap on the 40-150 so it can hang when not in use. What would you recommend for this, or would you even recommend it? Is there a particular kind of strap that works best for this, or do you just get something that can screw into the lens foot? Any specific recommendations?

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
Doesn't the 40-150 PRO come with a tripod foot? If so then just get a strap that screws into the tripod socket. DONE!

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Doesn't the 40-150 PRO come with a tripod foot? If so then just get a strap that screws into the tripod socket. DONE!
Yes it does, and that is one option I’m considering, but I wanted to see if anyone thought better of such an idea. Also, what’s a good one to get that doesn’t break the bank? I’ve read a few reviews where people lost their gear, but maybe it was user error.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
Yes it does, and that is one option I’m considering, but I wanted to see if anyone thought better of such an idea.

I am a fan of the Peak Design Leash and now it comes standard with a tripod screw mount plate. The strap is super light and portable. I use it on my E-M1 camera with lens mounted (including the 50-200 4/3 monster). For just the lens it would be perfect since it wouldn't be like you had two big straps on and the leash itself literally balls up small enough to put in the pocket of your jeans.

Real Name
Walter
I don't like screwing a strap into the foot, because the camera tends to hang upside down, and sometimes tilts lens up. I also don't attach the tripod foot if I'm going strictly handheld. I prefer it to hang lens down, in position to grab quickly. I've been using an OpTech Lens Loop. https://www.optechusa.com/lens-loops.html

I used the Lens Loop with my Utility Sling with both the ZD 50-200 SWD and 40-150 Pro. It has worked great with either lens and since the rest of my strap gear is OpTech, it fits in perfectly.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
I don't like screwing a strap into the foot, because the camera tends to hang upside down, and sometimes tilts lens up.

In this case he is looking for a 2nd strap strictly for the lens only so when he isn't using the 40-150 PRO he can still have it readily available on a strap of its own to be grabbed in a moments notice.

Real Name
Walter
In this case he is looking for a 2nd strap strictly for the lens only so when he isn't using the 40-150 PRO he can still have it readily available on a strap of its own to be grabbed in a moments notice.

Hai, wakarimasu. Although, if he were serious about grabbing and using it at a moments notice, I'd mount it on a 2nd body and have it ready to go. That's what I do. 5.3 w/12-100 mounted and 1.3 w/40-150 Pro+MC mounted.

Or find a padded pouch to store the lens in. LowePro used to have a Lens Exchange Case 200 AW which might have been just the right size for it. I was thinking of getting one for the 50-200, but the lens plus champagne bucket hood wouldn't fit. I think it's discontinued, but I liked the idea.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1431290-REG/lowepro_lp37178_protactic_lens_exchange_200.html/

IMO, having the lens dangle around on a strap sounds like an accident waiting to happen. :)

Last edited:

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
Although, if he were serious about grabbing and using it at a moments notice, I'd mount it on a 2nd body and have it ready to go. That's what I do. 5.3 w/12-100 mounted and 1.3 w/40-150 Pro+MC mounted.
So you think he should buy an $1100 camera strap? :hide:

IMO, having the lens dangle around on a strap sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

Ya but so it just about everything. Have a camera hanging around your neck, having two camera to mount two lenses, driving your car anywhere to take photos, etc. Meh!
This is what he asked for so it would seem best to give him suggestions on what he is seeking rather than people trying to tell him what they would do instead in his situation. That seems to go on a lot around here when ever anyone asks for suggestions. Everyone pipes in telling them, no, what you really should consider are not the three options A, B, and C you are asking about but instead these other options. Human nature I guess.

Quadna71

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I like using neoprene pouches with a cinch at the top. They come in all sizes, generally have a cordura loop stitched into the side, and can either be hooked to a bag with a carabiner or even clipped to a rapid strap to keep behind you. I wouldn’t trust the lens to hang it with the included plastic clip though - snip the plastic one completely off and then stick a dedicated metal carabiner through the loop.
(4 Pack) Altura Photo Thick Protective Neoprene Pouch Set for DSLR Camera Lens (Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic) - Includes: Small, Medium, Large and Extra Large Pouches https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MJ3RC8E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_oO8aFbFQ4QB30
B1DA3DC2-2F49-4B9A-9C2A-B84A5A4042C7.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Walter
So you think he should buy an $1100 camera strap? :hide:

Ya but so it just about everything. Have a camera hanging around your neck, having two camera to mount two lenses, driving your car anywhere to take photos, etc. Meh!
This is what he asked for so it would seem best to give him suggestions on what he is seeking rather than people trying to tell him what they would do instead in his situation. That seems to go on a lot around here when ever anyone asks for suggestions. Everyone pipes in telling them, no, what you really should consider are not the three options A, B, and C you are asking about but instead these other options. Human nature I guess.

I'm running around in circles because PakkyT has bitten my head off. Excuuuse me. Just trying to be helpful. :)

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
No need for apologies, if OP's words carry much weight. :)

Maybe I can share my vision a little more here. When I have the 40-150 on me, it will very likely be mounted most of the time, but I can see situations where I may want to strap on a small prime for a short while and then go right back to the 40-150. So, I'm on a walk, where I'm mostly shooting wildlife, but arrive at a spot where I want to take a few wide angle shots, or a family shot where 40 is too tight. I take my shots and likely go right back to the 40-150 mounted. I don't envision the 40-150 dangling on me for very long. I just want it at the ready relatively quickly.

An extra camera would defeat the weight savings and extra bulk I'm trying to avoid. I suppose a backpack would work (I have one), but that does get more cumbersome.

Phocal

God
I am a fan of BlackRapid straps and have been using them since my Canon days and I do exactly what you are looking to do. When I am out shooting I typically have the 150/2 and 300/4 each attached to an EM1 and use to bring my EM5 with either my fisheye or on the rare occasion the 14-54. But since moving to Alaska I have found I want to bring less weight because it's a lot hillier here than Texas and have started leaving the EM5 behind and only bringing the fisheye for my landscape stuff (on occasion I do slip the Olympus 17/2.8 into the bag because it is so small and light). While moving around I use the backpack strap that BlackRapid has and have found I can easily tuck the camera behind me (with lens point down) using the stoppers on the strap. This allows me use my trekking poles while still having the camera ready for that surprise animal sighting. On my backpack I have some pouches on the waist belt and one of them will contain the fisheye lens and/or the 17.28 if I brought it along. When I want to take a landscape I pull the camera off the telephoto and attach the wide angle lens (putting the cap on the telephoto) and take my shots. This has been working out really well and now with my new pack it works even better especially with trekking poles, something I never really used in Texas but the really steep terrain here in Alaska requires them.

threeOh

Mu-43 Veteran
I understand your situation. I’ve had the same need - 90+% shooting with one large lens then swap for a couple of shots with another.

@DefectiveMon mentioned my solution above. Mine is stiffer ripstop. Has a small zipper pouch for junk I typically carry. I sewed a split ring at the bottom for a nicer carry. Old camera shoulder strap with good grip. Been using one for ages. Not the quickest but the best solution I was able to come up with.

I'd be careful with attachments to lenses. Even if they hold, there's emotional baggage about worrying they may not. And they don’t. Irrespective of the name brand. Irrespective when your told it’s “user error”.

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
My solution to this might involve a neck cord made out of decent 5mm braid with a small carbine clip, and a screw-in eye for the tripod mount. So when the time came, you'd drag the neck cord out of the inside of your shirt, attach it to tripod mount eye, then take the lens off the camera and hang it on the carbine clip, then take pics with small lens, then put small lens away and return big lens to the camera. Tuck neck cord back inside shirt and go on your way.

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
I use lens pouches, attached to a "duty belt," that is held up with suspenders.
Each lens has its own pouch, so when I take the lens off, it goes into its pouch.
The suspenders handles the weight of the heavy lenses, so I do not have to make the belt TIGHT on me.

Frankly, it is a PITA to put that pouch/belt/suspender set up on, as the suspender loops move on the belt.
But it works great in use, so to me it is worth the hassle of putting it on.

The issue with relying on the tripod mount is, IF the collar rotation screw loosens, there is a SMALL chance that the lens will rotate in the collar to the release point, and fall out . . . :eek:
This happened to someone with his Nikon zoom, on another forum.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I use lens pouches, attached to a "duty belt," that is held up with suspenders.
Each lens has its own pouch, so when I take the lens off, it goes into its pouch.
The suspenders handles the weight of the heavy lenses, so I do not have to make the belt TIGHT on me.

Frankly, it is a PITA to put that pouch/belt/suspender set up on, as the suspender loops move on the belt.
But it works great in use, so to me it is worth the hassle of putting it on.

The issue with relying on the tripod mount is, IF the collar rotation screw loosens, there is a SMALL chance that the lens will rotate in the collar to the release point, and fall out . . . :eek:
This happened to someone with his Nikon zoom, on another forum.
Yes, I suppose a quick check of your collar (position and screw tightness) before making the swap could be trained into your process. The 40-150 does freely rotate in the collar, so it could pop out of there if one is not paying attention.

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
I use a big fat rubber washer when using any eye bolt - I have never had one come loose yet. But in theory - as you say - one checks it regularly, anyway, :)

Last edited:

Clint

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Clint
After several trials I use a Lowepro Lens Exchange, https://www.lowepro.com/us-en/protactic-lens-exchange-200-aw-black-lp37178-pww/, and have both the 100 AW and 200 AW. The lens is extremely accessible, no pulling, no tugging, and also a place to hold another lens while swapping. A quick pull on the zipper and the other lens is now secure. I found used ones of each of these and saved quite a bit money. IF you shoot fairly often and want to carry just an extra lens, the cost of the new ones would be worthwhile.

Latest threads

Top Bottom