A story about Panasonic support

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by tflovik, Sep 12, 2017.

1. tflovik

tflovik Mu-43 Regular

May 19, 2012
    Finnsnes, Norway
    Tom Eirik
    I sent in my Panasonic G80 in February because the floating IBIS mechanism was out of alignment which showed up as a dark area in the upper right part of all the pictures i took. They fixed it and about a month after i got it back i started to notice a spot in the left upper part of pictures(allways at the same place).
    I first tought that the spot was easy to clean myself and i didnt want to send the camera in for repair again, so i ordered sensor swabs, and after cleaning the sensor 4 times i was unable to remove the spot. After some googling i read about spots that can be from manufacture and my tought was that they changed both the sensor and IBIS mechanism when i sent it in.
    So i decided to send it in again to Panasonic for repair, sent it in the middle og august, got a mail at 22. august from Panasonic, they wanted the receipt. I sent the same receipt that i used in the first repair. Time went and i first sent one mail asking how the repair was going, no reply so i waited a bit and wrote another mail asking about the repair. Then i got a mail yesterday where they told me that receipt was only an order confirmation.
    Then i got angry and wrote an angry reply to them asking how the receipt coud not be valid now when it was valid in february. Most of all i was angry because they didnt tell me anything from 22. august to 11. september. I also sent them additional evidence that the camera was bought legally.
    The camera is bought in Norway and sent to the repair centre in Poland. I have not gotten a reply today from them. Thats why i write this post to warn about this.

I can say for shure this is the last Panasonic camera i have bought.

• Sad Sad x 3
  2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    So what camera are you going to buy when you sell your G80? I mean, after this experience, you won't keep the camera, right?

3. tflovik

tflovik Mu-43 Regular

May 19, 2012
    Finnsnes, Norway
    Tom Eirik
    First i have to get it back from them. But i am thinking about E-M1II

4. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Very nice camera. I own one and enjoy shooting with it. It's definitely a "step up" over the G80, in both features and price.

5. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    I take it patients isn't one of your strong suits! I've sent cameras from both Canon & Nikon back for repair and had it take it a lot longer than what you got angry about.

6. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    It could always be much more worse. The system I left would issue recalls for their own failures and it would be up to you to pay for the shipping to send said thing to them for corrections. Inclusive of lens firmware updates, of the "the body at a certain shutter speed does not play with the lens stabilization unless you love shutter shock." "Hope you like paying to ship that big telephoto back."

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ralf-11

ralf-11 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2017
    Panasonic has support???

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Stanga

Stanga Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2016
    If you bough the camera in one country and then tried to get it repaired in another country under warranty, then these kind of issues will arise. I am even surprised that Panasonic Poland accepted the camera for repair. Because of so called grey imports, manufacturers of all sorts of electronic goods do not normally agree to carry out any repairs on an item not bought in the same country. I think Canon and Nikon have a different arrangement, but that's an exception.

9. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 All-Pro

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I have heard this quoted in Australia where they use third party people to do their repairs. After warranty very hard to get repaired.

Better to have your own repair centre like Olympus do in Australia, and they have a better reputation for repairs.

10. Stanga

Stanga Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2016
    Most of the big Japanese companies have a service centre in each country in Europe where they operate. But this case is made more difficult because of the fact that Norway is not in the EU, but Poland is. So the item falls outside of the EU Consumer protection laws, which includes responsibility for any repair or replacement.

11. stagor

stagor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Netherlands
    I live in the Netherlands but bought my G80 in the UK, as they had them first in stock, plus cheaper, it also came with a free battery grip that you had to apply for, using my UK receipt, after about 4 weeks my battery grip arrived in the post, not from the UK but from Panasonic Germany. Reading through my warranty my G80 and grip are guaranteed for two years in all EU countries, they also advise, if any problems to send to the nearest service point to my home address.

12. genesimmons

genesimmons Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2017
    i agree panasonic suport is crap, i recently bought a zs70 for traveling, i have 4 different software for editing and none will open the panny raw files, even adobe dng converter wouldnt open them, i went on live chat with a worker to ask what software do they provide to open the files thier camera porduces, i was told to find a 3rd party software as they provide nothing!!!!!. before i could ask him what they recomend he ended the conversation with out so much as a thank u or goodbye or anyting, i saved the conversation as i was pretty floored by it, i posted my issue with raw on here and got much more help than panasonic gave me, the next day i received a email asking for a reveiw of my their support, i told them i found thier support awful and sent them a copy of the conversation, never heard anything back, absolute crap in my mind, i wanted to retrn the camera and buy somehitng else, but i like the camera so ill keep it and hope i dont have to get support again, terribe service

13. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    Why is everyone a drama queen now days? Instead of I had a bad experience or my issue wasn't revolved to my satisfaction, it's this is crap, awful, or terrible etc.

People seem to forget that a company the size of Panasonic probably has hundreds of customer service representatives, so you are bound to have a few bad apples in the bunch. Not to mention that customer service is a high turn over department regardless of company. My brother does enterprise level customer service for Microsoft, and even with 6 figure salaries the norm, they still routinely have turn over in the high teen percentages.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. genesimmons

Feb 12, 2017
    drama queeen are u fkn kidding me, the service was shit, plain and simple, it was shit, i told my story how it was and the op stated his story how it was, both shit, if u are hired for customer service then surely u are trained to be just that, a service provider, the op got shit serviece and so did i, so to apease u i will rephrase, I HAD A BADDDDDD EXPERIENCE

15. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    Basic manual:
    ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/camera/om/dc-zs70_en_om.pdf

page 53:

advanced manual:
    ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/camera/om/dc-zs70_adv_en_om.pdf

page 174:
    page 269:

I'd add SILKYPIX came on a DVD with my G7.

16. genesimmons

Feb 12, 2017
    u should work for panasonic,haha apparantly their customer support does not know this, i was told they provided no software, i did download that software and its the worst software, glitchy and extremly slow and uses huge resources and casues my mac to heat up

17. ralf-11

ralf-11 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2017
    a company the size of American Express has hundreds of customer service representatives, and never had any bad apples in the bunch

you make it a priority and you take care of business

• Like Like x 2
  18. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
  19. ralf-11

ralf-11 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2017
    note the past tense - the CEO left AMEX and went to run IBM

20. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Top Veteran