1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A sticky problem, from another user on PM-1.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Stephen, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Stephen

Stephen Mu-43 Regular

Jan 2, 2013
    I have a OM PM-1 and a PL-1, no problems so far with either, apart from the PM having rather too many button presses to get to customise settings.

But a friend in Canada has just bought an Olympus PM-1, with Sigma 19mm F2.8, lens works fine, he sent on some samples, looked fine, sharp and correct colour balance.

But he also bought a S/hand Olympus 14mm/42mm standard zoom, and tried it out and the outdoor shots have a very deep blue cast, equivalent to a indoor to daylight blue conversion filter.

It only comes blue with the Zoom, which rather throws me as to advise him what is wrong. Reset to original defaults for the body has been done, and Photoshop can completely restore the Jpeg to normal colour balance.

I do not wish to confuse him too much, he is a newcomer to a more complex camera, but I would, for instance, check by using Raw files to see if the two lenses are really that different, which seems on the face of it unlikely.

Is it possible for the Olympus settings in the body to be set to behave differently with two different lenses?

Or has he a far more serious problem? I should explain I have very long photographic experience, sales, service and semi- pro photographer, with reasonable experience in digital.

• Has anybody had experience of this issue, could it for instance be the electrical contacts at the back of the lens, I know they self clean to an extent, but?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Stephen.

2. Stephen

Stephen Mu-43 Regular

Jan 2, 2013
    An addition, I am not sure he has tried both lenses one after each other as yet, I am hoping the lenses both have the cast now, as then he could have simply un-set the colour balance with the live controls by accident.

I have asked him to take more shots, and then if still an issue, I will get him to set for Raw, repeat some shots and transfer the Raw to me to check.

But of course it is an odd problem if really confined to the zoom!!

Stephen.