1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A Splash of Light

Discussion in 'Creative Corner' started by Maczero, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Maczero

Maczero Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2010
    Fife
    This was an image that I took the other day. I only had the 20 mm with me for the GF1 with me, but the splash of light on the opposite hillside from the sunburst was what caught my eye. So, I tried to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear and crop this into 16:9 format and use B&W to emphasise the light on the rape fields.

<a href="http://www.smiddyphotography.com/POTD/POTDBW/10845605_BVB68#934815031_v5TjM-A-LB">http://www.smiddyphotography.com/POTD/POTDBW/P1020880/934815031_v5TjM-L.jpg"></a>

Does this work? Any ideas for improvement? I know that the corn field in the foreground is dark, but I intentionally kept it so to focus attention on the splash of light. Too much? Does it work?

C&C very welcome.

Andrew

• Like Like x 2
  2. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

at first site...I love it!! It is dramatic and it is bold and it is eye catching....I would love to see the colour rendition, and thanks for posting.

3. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    It's brilliant as it is, the one thing you could do (maybe, very maybe), would be to experiment with the cropping to try the rule of thirds, get the sun and horizon line out of center. Just a personal opinion, once again : brilliant shot.

4. hmpws

hmpws Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I think this works as it is :D 

5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

I agree, this is a silk purse as is! I also enjoyed looking at it on your linked website. No doubt someone will have some suggestions that might allow you to cut down on the graininess.

The fact that you saw this, had your camera at the ready and caught this beautiful image is to your credit. Great eye, Andrew and a stunning scene.

6. Maczero

Maczero Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2010
    Fife
    It was a case of decisions, decisions. I think the central position of the light works. There are elements at both the left and right edges I would like to keep. I wonder whether I should have cut down on the cornfield in the foreground, however.

Thanks for the comments.

Andrew

7. Maczero

Maczero Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2010
    Fife
    BBW

Thank you for your comments.

The graininess is a product of the conversion technique: two passes through Silver Efex using the High Structure preset. This was a tip from Lee Frost I saw in 'Black and White Photography'. This gives lot's of mood, but does add grain. Sometimes grain adds to a B&W image; sometimes not. I haven't tried a smooth interpretation of this image. Perhaps I should.

Andrew

• Like Like x 1
  8. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Interesting - thanks, Andrew. One of these days I'll be getting Silver Efex. I like the graininess effect here.

It could well be interesting to see if you cut back on the cornfields, if it might make the light show from on high even more dramatic. Could be the ticket.

9. Arctic Photog

Arctic Photog Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2010
    Canada's Arctic
    Excellent image Andrew... I wouldn't change a thing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.