A spammer amongst us?

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by pawzitiv, Jun 1, 2010.

1. pawzitiv

pawzitiv Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2010
    Calgary
    Can't say I fancy the commercial spam from member "dumpcvv" that showed up today in nearly all our forum categories.:mad: We do have a separate forum category for commercial links.

Moderators .. please "tear him a new one" to curtail any future foolhardiness.

• Like Like x 2
  2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend Charter Member

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Someone has managed to bypass the vetting process, I think the same knob came in earlier under another name. Could mean that the forum software may need an update.

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 4
  3. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Hi,

I think it is HIGH TIME the mods intervene, and inform the authorities.
    Dacrime (what's in a name) is using this forum to sell creditcard data, CVV, ...

That's serious offense, ladies & gentlemen !

C U,
    Rafael

• Like Like x 2
  4. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer Charter Member

yeah, there's been quite a few now. Shockin' aye. Put em in jail BBW:smile: And put heavy handcuffs on em so they can't get out.

Dacrime. I can read through it easy and see.......The Crime
    :horse:

• Like Like x 2
  5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Thank you all, and rest assured we are working on shoring up the fortress walls!

Your help by using the "Report Post" warning triangle (upper right in your post window in that top banner where the "Reputation" scales, etc., are) is a huge help because it sends out an All Points Bulletin to the Moderators and Administrators and is the fastest way to let us know what's going on - so many thanks for your keen eyes and fast fingers!:2thumbs:

Damn the spammers and full speed ahead!:biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Thanks all. Beating the spammers is an ongoing struggle.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    dacrime was using a false name and burner email account, but his/her IP address has been reported as you suggested.

• Like Like x 6
  8. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    That's super, Amin !!
    Thank you for organising this forum, a great source of information and images !

C U
    Rafael

• Like Like x 2
  9. igi

igi Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    This thing also happens on one of the browser games I was playing. It's good that we have moderators here to control there... they can really pest the whole forums if they run around like roaches!

• Like Like x 6
  10. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Big Brother is watching all......

11. back alley

back alley Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2010
    maybe remove the 60 second wait for reporting posts - there are maybe 6 right now and i have reported 2...but waiting 60 seconds between each is just a pita...just sayin'...

12. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Just to echo BB we find the APB very helpful in nailing each spam attack's login and IP address... and between us we never sleep so you should see your reports are acted upon very quickly.

I do wonder whether these are automated attacks though... the effort of setting up a new account to post spam manually (where it's removed so quickly) wouldn't seem to be worth the effort.

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 2
  13. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Joe, if you report one, we'll find the others.

These are definitely automated attacks. Most of the spam accounts make it through our registration process in less than 4 seconds. I'm unable to complete a registration in under 12 seconds.

I've taken some steps to cut back on the spam given the recent wave of CVV/CCV spam. Hopefully we'll see less of it in the near future.

• Like Like x 2
  14. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    a timer filter if one existed would be a good foil to these creepy monkeys

15. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Cosina, that's one of the steps I took. From now on, any registration completed in less than 15 seconds will be automatically blocked. However, the bots are ever evolving. No doubt some bots are already programmed to register slowly.

• Like Like x 2