1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A sober thought

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by pete, Mar 31, 2010.

1. pete

pete Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2010
    Phoenix, Az
    Someone questioned my taking of tombstone photos (not here) saying it was disrespectful. Here is my take: I approach each and every grave with the deepest of respect, knowing it was/still is a life. I believe Im in some small way continuing their epic journey into the next life. And alittle more rememberance in this life wont hurt anyone. EP1 with 17mm

8552_revised.JPG

I wouldn't mind making a book about this either...

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Pete,
    Don't ever question your heart. It's obvious where that is by seeing your images.
    A friend, don

• Like Like x 1
  3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Pete, as I remarked when I saw this on Flickr - I think this is a fantastic image. Beautifully seen and worked! I agree with you, a book would be excellent! You're on your way.:wink: To the book, not the beyond.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  4. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Pete - as long as you act respectfully, which I am sure you do, and no relatives are around who disagree - then I see what you are doing as the opposite of the "somebody" comment

But there are always some "funny" people around

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  5. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Bill, ya think?

• Like Like x 1
  6. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    I think that there are "living" graves and "dead" graves, and you have just to be a little careful, especially in countries that are not your own - if you see what I mean

strange I should use those words - don't ask me to define the terms

• Like Like x 1
  7. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Good points, Bill. One must be circumspect at such times.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Pete, it's a subject you obviously approach with sincerity and sensitivity... I find these personal memorials very moving and taking photographs a mark of remembrance and respect, but there will always be those who see things from their own perspective.

I think a book would be a splendid idea.

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  9. pete

pete Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2010
    Phoenix, Az
    thanks all, its my long range plan...but need to think of copyright stuff. In this day and age you have to be legal ready! know what I mean.

Thanks all.

Pete

10. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    there is nothing disrespectful about recording tasteful images of grave markers...

they were erected for the living to see and remember that a loved one passed..... it is a monument to the dead .... and monument were built for the living to see.

whatever moron confronted you is the one with the disrespect .... a disrespect for their own intellect and ability for clear and rational thought , shoot away and fools be damned

now if, for what ever reason a family member asked you do not shoot a image of a given tombstone , i understand you would respect their feeling and choice. but a blanket condemnation of recording momuments to the dead is ignorance and foolishness,imho

• Like Like x 2
  11. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    I also feel that you have to take into account local laws and customs as well as cultural differences that exist around the world - it's all part of the respect issue

• Like Like x 2
  12. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    • Like Like x 1
  13. ajramirez

ajramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 16, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Pete,

The last thing any sensible person would think of when looking at the photograph in question is that it is disrespectful. It is a wonderful and respectful depiction of an artistically interesting subject. Keep doing what you are doing and pay no attention to such comments.

Regards,

Antonio

• Like Like x 2
  14. pete

pete Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2010
    Phoenix, Az
    hey guys, thanks so much. comments very appreciated.

Pete

15. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    People's attitude to death always amazes me. Why is it such a taboo subject? Death is entirely natural, it happens to us all and is an essential part of life - each generation making way for another generation to grow and prosper, perpetuating and evolving the species.

As the subject has come up, may I indulge myself by boring you with a poem that I wrote many years ago.....

DEATH AFTER LIFE

Death - what we all fear most
    Our ultimate fate
    A step into the unknown
    And unavoidable

A test of faith for even
    The most devout Christian
    Hollow, numb uncertainty
    To non-believers

A shadow on our frail lives
    Death is always there
    Stalking yet our every move
    'Til the grave becons

Uncertain when the call will come
    We face each day in silent,
    Muted fear, wondering
    Will it come today?

Yet the End is not in doubt
    That we are certain
    And with such certainty comes
    A stark, cold comfort

For though we lose the good of life
    The bad will pass too
    Thank God (?) for death, Eternity (?)
    Life ends with a question

Keep taking those pictures, Pete! :cool:

• Like Like x 3
  16. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    beautifuly told , goldenlight , im even seeing your name in a new light ,cheers

i dont believe in much,........... yet each day i revel in the miracle of existence and the universe , you are matter "made" conscious.... of atoms so tenuous and thin that they make soap bubbles seem as blocks of lead. ,life is a poem......... and your poem is about a mysterious part of it life

• Like Like x 2
  17. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I think the only thing that you need to be careful about is time. I would be very wary about taking photos of any memorials etc that were fairly recent, but ones that have well and truly become part of histroy is another matter altogether. Cemetaries are as much about our culture and history as any anything else, recording such can be as important as recording old buildings, before they crumble and disappear.

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 2
  18. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I have been taking photographs in cemeteries on and off for years. There is even a series of books from the early 90's called Permanent Londoners, Parisians, New Yorkers and Californians that points out the grave sites of many famous people.

I think they are such interesting places. Many were designed to be tourist attractions. My favorites are ones that have beautiful statues. I think to walk by a grave read a name and a date is a tribute to that person even if you know nothing about them.

• Like Like x 2