1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

A small suggestion about an addition to our profiles...or maybe a separate forum

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by WithOpenedEyes, Jan 17, 2016.

1. How about a place for Recommended Gear where we could supply equipment reviews? I get a few put into Amazon once in a while, but others here might benefit. Many here ask for recommendations and then get hit with a dizzying amount of discussion and personal opinion, making it tough for some to wade through this and come to a conclusion. Not the best way to find help when you really need it.

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hmm... there is a 'Featured Tests and Reviews' section, but looks like nothing new has been added there in some time...

@Amin Sabet@Amin Sabet, what do you suggest?

3. My thinking here was reviews/recommendations similar in style to Amazon or B&H...just a paragraph or two..not quite as involved as in the FT&R section. Those pieces take some time to write and put together..something not everyone is willing to commit to. R&R's should be limited to equipment owned and used for at least 3 to 6 months, and would hopefully be about gear the writer has felt strongly about. The thing is that this site is a pretty major watering hole for m4/3 users and we know the system pretty well, along with what works and what doesn't. At least as far as the system goes anyway. Yes, you can find other reviews about non-system specific gear, especially accessories...but these reviews may not always reflect how well things work with the m4/3 system. If everyone contributed to this process, there could be a decent size database. Look at the "What item did you buy this week" forum. If everyone waited 3 months and then wrote a couple of paragraphs, assuming they had a good experience, there would be a lot of contribution. The other issue is where to put this. How about a page on our profile that would show these..and in a forum..link them together. I wonder how many people take the time to scroll down to the FT&R forum. I think if the process was easier to do and more visible, it might get more participation. I'm just throwing ideas out here though.

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    We used to have that. It was hard to maintain (add new items as they came out) and not very active. The problem was that our software wasn't very good, so there was no way to comment on the user reviews.

We could try again, but it would be a big undertaking. I'll look to see what addons are available with Xenforo to support something like that.

5. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Don't we already mostly do this with the Olympus and Panasonic Camera and Native Lens sections? People ask about specific gear all the time and others post about their gear comments. The B&H and Amazon reviews are a little different as their focus is to sell gear.

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    XenForo has a very cool pay addon called Resource Manager (RM) that would work well for this. Description:

Here's an example of a resource I created on another site that uses the RM: Speed up your XenForo site

When you create a resource, you pick a category for that resource, and a discussion thread is automatically created in the corresponding forum. So we could have forums for reviews, tips and guides, and other (suggestions welcome for additional categories). This would be excellent for the lighting guides written by @MichaelSewell@MichaelSewell for example.

It's a pay addon, so I'd have to shell out $360 up front to add it to all six websites plus $90/year for renewals, but I think it would be a really nice addition that wouldn't take any real work on my part to keep going. People could write as much or as little as they want. Thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  7. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I could not view the link as I wasn't signed into the site.

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Oops, I didn't realize they had that limit in place.

9. Yes, but you really have to search to find specific info. I was hoping for an easier way that would show more info and do it quicker...without having to scroll through tons of other info about other gear. I'm more and more aware these days that people's "attention span"..the actual time spent looking at something..is shorter and shorter. If it can't be found quickly, within a page or two, they're off to some other site. And I shouldn't throw any stones..I'm just as bad at times..;) At least on Amazon and B&H, I can arrive at consensus of opinion quickly. I value user opinions when making an important choice, and I'd like to think I wasn't alone out here. It's also a way of giving back to the community here. Trouble is getting others to participate and finding a way to organize/collate to make it easy. I know that's putting a lot on Amin's plate.

10. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I understand what you are looking, not sure that I would participate as I don't leave reviews at B&H as it is. I think that if I had a specific question(s) about a lens or a body I would just post the question. It will be interesting to hear others thoughts.

11. And thanks to Amin for even looking at this. I know this stuff just makes more to deal with.

12. I don't leave them on B&H either...don't want to have to go through registering on one more site. But I do on Amazon and I think people pay attention to user opinions. They're one of the valuable things the internet has facilitated. The trouble with asking opinions here is that it often melts down into a discussion of something else..with much of it not really being helpful to the OP.

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The RM wouldn't organize all reviews of a particular lens together, but it would give a place for people to put reviews when they are putting in more effort than the usual post. And they can be tagged, which makes searching easier.

14. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    This is a feature that I probably wouldn't use....

15. MichaelSewell

MichaelSewell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    If it reduces workload on moderators, and maintains discussion threads linked to the resource, then it can only be a positive development for both the administrator team, and users alike.
    @Amin Sabet@Amin Sabet , If you recall our original conversation regarding the lighting tutorials, and my concern regarding them becoming fragmented within a forum, I believe this would negate that. It would also ensure the resource stayed "clean", and doesn't become bogged down, or tainted, in a debate that may, or may not, be related to the subject matter. I would assume it would mean it may be easier to moderate the separate discussion thread, without fear of impact on the original resource.

16. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yes, for sure.

17. MichaelSewell

MichaelSewell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    Then, as they say over here, surely "it's a no brainer!".