A small but Solid Tripod for EM1 ??

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by PantelisMor, Feb 20, 2017.

1. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013
    Hello,

I am a happy owner of OMD EM1.

I have two tripods.

The first one is a small, light but not steady Sirui T-005 tripod.

The second one is a big, solid but not small Vanguard tripod with Pistol Grip head.

I often think a tripod for example Benro carbon travel angel if it would be the middle-best solution.

In my mind a tripod like this would be a good combination of my tripods. A Solid but more portable item

Would be a tripod like this solid like Vanguard ?? It’s my priority to be solid.

I use the tripod for Landscape and for travel

Thx a lot.

2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Going through this myself at the moment. I own a Sirui T-005X and a Desmond DCF-432, however I wanted something that still small and light enough to travel with, while also giving me good height.

I think the first thing you need to determine is what height do you need? Is that with the center column extended or retracted? From there, you can start to look through different tripods.

The two that I am looking at are the Sirui T-024X and the Sirui T-1204XL. The T-024X is a little smaller when folded, while the T-1204XL gives a little more height in use. I plan to evaluate the two side-by-side to make a decision on which to keep, and then I'll return the other one.

3. Quadna71

Quadna71 Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2016
    I have an early version of the Benro Travel Angel in CF. It's only downfall that I noticed is the inability to convert it to a mono-pod at will, however, I see the latest version does now convert to a mono-pod. I used it extensively with my previous full frame (Canon gripped 6D with typically their 24-70/2.8) and it handled the weight just fine. Now that I've converted to M43 the tripod is even more stable that before and the standard Benro B2 ball head is rock solid. Couple that with hanging your bag from the center hook and you'll have a very light yet sturdy tripod.

4. Quadna71

Quadna71 Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2016
  5. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    That appears to be nearly identical to the Sirui T-1004XL, which is $180 vs. $300 for the Benro. The sirui folds down shorter and weighs a good bit less.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Weebee

Weebee Mu-43 Regular

Oct 2, 2016
    Steve
    What height tripod do you need? That would help narrow down the options.

7. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Once you decide on a tripod, consider the head. There can be a lot of weight in the head. I recently purchased an Acratech ball head and it is very light compared to my other ball heads from Sirui and Vanguard. It is also very solid, more solid than the Sirui K series heads. A nice way to save a few ounces while retaining quality functionality.

• Like Like x 1
  8. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Solidness mostly comes down to leg diameter, number of extensions (which tends to reduce leg diameter), not extending the centre column, and having a decent head.

You can't really defy physics on the tripod front... personally I have two tripods like you. My bigger one is a CF 4 section one that fits in normal stow luggage, the smaller one fits in a backpack.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. PantelisMor

Jan 14, 2013
    Thx a lot guys !!!
    Acratech ball head is not on my budget....
    My sirui tripod is about 130 cm Max height while Vanguard is 175 cm.

I think 160 cm is the right height ...

10. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I think the Sirui T-1004XL would be a good tripod to look at. Quick specs:
    • Max height with center column retracted: 132cm
    • Max height with center column extended: 160cm
    • Folded length: 46.5cm
    • Weight: 1.3kg
    • Cost: $180 USD (in USA, from B&H)
    The tripod comes with a very nice ballhead, the E-10X, which is sufficient for m43 cameras and lenses.

They also make a CF version which only weighs 1kg, but costs $370 USD from B&H. I bought the same tripod on eBay from China for $245 USD shipped, just waiting for it to arrive now.

11. PantelisMor

Jan 14, 2013
    Sorry i forgot to mention that my next tripod will be Carbon.

12. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Then you'll want to look at the T-1204XL. That's what I ordered, and will be comparing against the T-024X.

I agree, carbon is the way to go. Not only is it lighter (better for travel), but it also has much better damping and resonance properties than aluminum, which can lead to sharper images when the tripod is on a surface that can resonate (think of a bridge as cars/trucks drive past).

13. PantelisMor

Jan 14, 2013
    I found a good review for Benro FTA18C Travel Angel.

Painted Shots

14. Quadna71

Quadna71 Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2016
    They seem very similar...aside from the $300 Benro being carbon fiber and the $180 Sirui being aluminum. I guess it depends upon both how much you want to spend as well as which leg medium you want. I bought my Benro used off of a user on POTN for a great price but I'm sure there are other better deals out there to be had if you take the time to look and wait. The best part is that the OP has two tripods to tide them over in the meantime.

15. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    The Benro you linked to is not CF, it's aluminum. That's confirmed on B&H's webpage for the product (link), which makes sense considering it weighs over 2kg.

$300 for the Aluminum Benro vs $370 for the CF Sirui, which weighs 1/2 that of the Benro, and folds to be 6 inches (15cm) shorter.

16. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    "Solid" means different things to different people. How are you defining it, and more importantly, what is your budget for legs and head?

--Ken

17. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

More weight down the COM actually improves stability, which is actually sort of a disadvantage in a way for CF. That's why it's important to be able to weigh down the tripod with a mass on the centre column hook.

18. WRay

WRay Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

May 23, 2012
    Riverside, California
    Ray
    Check out Slik carbon fiber tripods. I've had one for years. It's still working good as new.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    But every tripod has a hook at the base to allow you to hang weight from. Most people tend to use their camera bag, since they already have it with them. Why would I want to drag around a heavier tripod, when I could use a CF tripod that better resonance properties, and can be further "stabilized" by hanging my bag beneath it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. NigelD

NigelD Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2015