1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A small annoyance with custom buttons between shooting modes

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by KBeezie, Jul 9, 2016.

1. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Here's the thing, I rarely ever use video which is why :
    Fn1 is set to record
    Fn2 is set to magnify
    Rec is set to MF (alternates between AF and MF)

Mainly because half the time I'm either manually focusing or I'm using an adapted lens.

But I noticed that if for example if I switch over to Video mode, the settings for Fn1/Fn2/Rec will show as "Off", so I'm thinking, "Oh does this mean I can set a different set of custom buttons when I'm in the movie mode?" Such as re-assigning Fn1 or Fn2 to the digital teleconverter while I'm in movie mode.

Apparently it is not the case, because if I set anything to the buttons in the custom menu while in video mode, those changes carry over into "M" mode which I am in 90% of the time.

Why does it even bother to say 'off' over in movie mode if I can't set them independently to shooting modes?

2. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Because they don't do anything while in movie mode. If people could set them while in movie mode there would be complaints that they didn't work.

3. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    But you can change them in movie mode, and they do work in movie mode when set... But then it also changes it for every other mode.

But if you change the settings back in a non movie mode, you'll see "off" again under the custom menu if the dial is set to movie.

My guess is, the only way to work around it (if you want those buttons set for movie without affecting the other modes) you would have to save it as it's own myset (along with a myset for the still configuration)

4. Rambling Sam

Rambling Sam Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2016
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Sam
    The only Myset I've configured is 4, (because it's the last in the list) which holds a copy of my default settings and highly unlikely that I'll ever overwrite it for anything else.

• Like Like x 1