1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A size comparison of RF-style cameras

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Mellow, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Because i was curious, I put together this spreadsheet showing some features of RF-style cameras. It's not exhaustive because it only includes the cameras I've owned or am interested in. If you want me to update it with your favorite camera, just send me an pm. If I've made a mistake, likewise let me know and I'll correct it.

cameras1.

The following things jumped out at me:

1. The PM2 is really a small camera--the smallest camera available with one of the modern sensors. I guess that's why I own and love it.

2. The sensor size is not an important factor in body size. The NEX-5N, for example, is smaller than the E-PL5 and contains nearly the same features (minus IBIS, of course).

3. If you want an integral EVF you're going to have to pay for it in terms of size. Nonetheless, the camera with the smallest sensor (GX7) is a good bit larger (approximately 2 in3) than the ones with bigger sensors, and is in fact the largest camera on the table. Not only that, but the GX7 is heavier than either of the NEX cameras.

4. The GX7 is the only camera that checks all the "feature" boxes--IBIS, flash, tilt screen, touch screen, and EVF. Quite an accomplishment!

5. The EP-5 is quite a bit smaller than the EVF cameras, and nearly the same volume as the GX1, which I've owned, and this surprises me. I found the GX1 a tad large for carrying in my pocket, but not that much. Unfortunately the EP-5 is also a tank, weighing in at 420g, the heaviest camera on the table. Still, if you don't require an integral EVF or flash, it also checks many of the boxes I value, and also has the extraordinary 5-axis IBIS of the OMD.

Oh, and yes I know: (a) cameras aren't rectangular cuboids; (b) it's the lenses stupid; (c) some people like larger and heavier cameras; (d) I've neglected some of the features important to some people; and (e) I've mixed English and metric units.

2. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    What's a Sony GX7?

Also, What's an Olympus E-PL4?

3. zap

zap Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2012
    uk
    i'm curious about epl4 as well...

4. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
  5. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
  6. zap

zap Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2012
    uk
  7. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Good idea, sounds a bit unlucky to me! :biggrin:

I must say you've worked hard on that data base - very impressive! :smile:

8. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    Nice comparo chart.

One small correction, the EP5 does have a flash.