A simple rock

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Robert Spoecker, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Robert Spoecker

Robert Spoecker Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 23, 2010
    I dont really know exactly where to post this so nature is it I guess. What we need is a general category named misc.

I find using my 17(34)mm pancake lens problematic because I am so used to in camera formatting with a zoom lens, so this is good training for me.

I find the lens very good for macro shooting so I picked up an interesting rock, washed it and set it on a bath towel.

[​IMG]

Robert

2. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Hi Robert,

Interesting choice of subject, if you had not said it was a rock I could have mistaken it for a piece of raw meat!!

I am struggling to see the exact point of focus as well, it looks as if it is the wet highlight centre bottom - handheld perhaps?

3. Robert Spoecker

Jan 23, 2010
    hand held with the tiny oly flash at f22. I held the camera very close. There is no croping or post processing of any kind except to down size it to 4 x 3 inches in photoshop. I guess this is very close to the limit.

Robert

4. Iansky

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Thanks Robert,

Even though you were using flash, I suspect with the proximity to the subject being almost at the limit and the possibility of movement due to handholding and AF difficulties/speed plus lens abberations that you will experience at f22 this accounts for the slightly soft look.

I would try another using a tripod and stop down to a max of f8 - max sharpness normaly occurs at two stops down from wide open so try that as well and see how that looks to you.

I hope you don't mind my observations, they are intended to help not offend.

Good luck,
    Ian

5. Robert Spoecker

Jan 23, 2010
    Ian,

I much appreciate any help I can get, thank you.

I have retried it using a tripod and setting the camera to f11 and lower and even used the 2 second timer to avoid any possible camera shake and I just cant get it any better.

The rock is very three dimensional and I suspect the dof is just not good enough for extreme close ups. of this particular subject.

I will quit :horse:

Thanks

Robert

6. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Hi Robert,

I was just checking over at www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html. You don't mention the size of your rock, but assuming 17mm, f11 and 6" away, the DOF is only .1' (1.2"). At .3'(4") the DOF is only .03'! Could that explain some of the softness?

7. Robert Spoecker

Jan 23, 2010
    Hi Tom,

Yes, I do believe the DOF is the problem.

The rock is about 7 inches wide by 5 inches tall and the depth from front to back is about 5 inches. The camera lens distance to the near point of the rock was about 6 inches.

The oly is a wonderful camera but all cameras and lenses have limits and I think I found one limit of this camera.

Robert

8. Robert Spoecker

Jan 23, 2010
    Ian,

I should have put the darn rock on a meat platter and said nothing. You would never have expected torn meat to have sharp edges. :laugh1:

Robert

9. Iansky

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Hey Robert,

You haven't seen my wifes cooking!

10. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

You are very lucky that you have a wife......I am jealous

11. noodlehaus

noodlehaus Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2010
    Here's to hoping she doesn't visit this forum and see your post :D

12. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    that rock is making me hungry,

robert that is a most unusual mineral specimen, where did you find it ?

13. Robert Spoecker

Jan 23, 2010
    I live in the desert in Southern California. This rock was part of the landscape in front of the house.

Robert

14. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    then you a blessed to be surrounded by such natural splendor, an amazing specimen