1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A simple GF1 viewfinder question

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by benjie, Mar 14, 2011.

1. benjie

benjie Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    London
    I've just acquired a (red!) GF1 + LVF-1, and very nice the kit is too. I'll be using it with the 20mm 1.7 which I already had.

My question is- do folk leave the viewfinder attached all the time? I was thinking of it as I'm a little old-fashioned and prefer squinting through a viewfinder!

2. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    If you like using it all the time leave it on, if you only use it for certain situations keep it in a case unless you need it. I keep the little plastic cover in the EVF case so if I need to switch it's right there.

3. red

red Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2010
  4. benjie

benjie Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    London
    Thanks Lisa. Suppose it's obvious really!

5. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I find the little case is sort of bulky though considering it would be carrying a tiny piece of plastic most of the time so I keep mine on pretty much all the time.

6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I rarely us the evf on the gf1 - only when the light is too strong to see the lcd. So I leave it in the bag or if I'm just walking around without the bag, in a pocket or something. The evf is so small and the case so bulky though, that I just take my chances and carry it without its case. If it dies prematurely, it dies prematurely. The EVF is such a nice size (I guess that's the upside for the relatively poor resolution compared to the Oly version - its a lot smaller!) that I feel like it defeats the purpose to carry its much larger case around.

But there is no right way except whatever works for you.

-Ray

7. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

For some reason I don't like to use that LVF for Panny 20mm or any "short" lens, but I do love it for 45-200mm. And I don't think it's case is that bulky, it's very nicely made and protect the LVF well. But that's just me, I like to keep everything dust&fingerprints free (I'm cleaning my glasses many times per day :wink: )

8. KIT

KIT New to Mu-43

Feb 28, 2011
    west sussex....UK
    Mine is up top all the time,great bit of kit.........

9. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

I managed to find one second hand after failing to find one new, and am enjoying the camera much more with it. I tend to keep it in it's case when not using it, but am probably a bit over - protective, as it seems to be pretty robust.

10. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I only use mine when I feel the need, which is less rather than more. And I do keep it in that fancy little (bulky) case. To me it just ruins the compact, sleek form factor of the camera, so I don't like it on unless I really need it and there are times when I do! (Very bright sunlight, long lenses, a need to help stabilize the camera against my head, etc.)

11. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Unlike, Ray, John & Don above.

I leave the finder on my GF1 all the time.

It's small and not troublesome, when I need it it's already there, just push the little button and away you go.

Prior to switching my kit bag to the Crumpler 6 MD, I had trouble with quick egress and left the EVF detached, as Ray mentions it's small and no big deal to carry in its pouch.

Just an opinion, as you can see there's no right way wrong way... just what works and is comfortable for you.

• Like Like x 1