A Short Video With My GH4

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by ijm5012, Sep 27, 2015.

1. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Last year I purchased two GH4's to replace my two G6's because I wanted a camera that was slightly larger (the GH4 fits my hand perfectly), weather sealed (to use with my 12-35/35-100), had better AF-C performance (the DFD system on the GH4 doesn't disappoint), and I wanted to start getting in to shooting more video, particularly 4K. So far, I haven't be disappointed in any way with either of my GH4's, as they're fantastic cameras, especially given the price.

I like to go out and shoot the local autocross events, as it gets me some practice shooting and panning with cars. They had their big fall event today, so I went out to shoot some video. I put together the below video in a few hours in iMovie this afternoon after getting home. The video was shot with my Panasonic 15mm, 25mm, and 42.5mm lenses, in the Cinelike D color profile. The GH4 does video very, very well (duh!), and my next gear acquisition will likely be a handheld 3-axis gimbal to help stabilize video when not on a tripod.

To anyone who shoots video, and comments/tips are welcome. Thanks for viewing!

• Like Like x 2
  2. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Liked the video! Was this all handheld? Any stabilization in post? You mentioned you had the 42.5 is that the nocticron? I have the pany 1.4 and noc 1.2 and these lenses are phenomenal. I pair them up with my em5 ii and get greet results. I thought about picking up a gh4 but wanted/needed stabilized video without a rig or fixing in post.

Looking forward to future vids!

3. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    @JDK504@JDK504, With the exception of the last few shots in slow-mo (which were done on a tripod), yep it was all hand held. I did apply some stabilization in post (just the built-in iMovie stabilization). The 42.5 I used was the f/1.7 Panasonic version, not the f/1.2 Nocticron. As much as I would love a Nocticron, I can't justify it from a price perspective. The f/1.7 version is a fantastic performer, includes OIS like the Nocticron, and is pretty cheap (I got mine for under $300 from over seas). I am looking at picking up a Beholder MS1 (handheld 3-axis gimbal), but it is fairly pricey at $500. The smoothness of the video is fantastic though...

I'm interested in an E-M5 II, but I've seen some really unsharp video out of it, as well as a fair bit of "jell-o". The new firmware update has me intrigued though, especially based on a few video samples I've seen from the E-M10 II. If they can get the video sharp, implement 24 & 60p, and maintain the effectiveness of the IBIS, they'll have a damn good camera on their hands. I'll tell you what though, once you get to work with 4K footage, you definitely can tell the difference between it and 1080p. What I really want is 4K @ 60fps so that I can slow it down like I do 1080p footage. I think it'll be interesting to see comes with the GH5 & E-M1 II.

4. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013

Ya the Nocticron def is pricey, but I worth it to me. I did have the Olympus 45 and as great as that was once I put on the Noc I never looked back. Its the feel of the lens when you use it. The metal barrel, the look of the pictures, etc. I know the price difference might not justify the difference you get from other lenses, but to each their own. I shoot in a ton of low light so that really helps. Plus it takes great pictures of my kids ;)

I am really impressed with the video from my EM5 II. I came from a Pany G3 and was looking to upgrade to either GH4 or EM5 II or EM1 II. I took a chance and have not regretted it. The IBIS is truly amazing. I haven't come into that "Jello" problem although I know it's out there. There is 24, 30, 60P at 1080/60fps, but not at the highest codec. Unfortunately, there is only 24 and 30 at 72mbps. I'm hoping at update in the future will push that to 60fps, but all in all its doable for me.

I am really excited to see what they do with the GH5 and EM1 II.

You mentioned softness in the EM5 II video? I don't have any issues with my sharpness on my vids. I actually have my presets set to negative on sharpness
    and usually shoot my lenses wide open. I like that more filmic look vs the videoish/camcorder. Magic bullet/filters help in post with that as well.

5. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Yes, the Noc is a great lens. I had the pleasure of handling one on an E-M1 and my GH4, and didn't find it too big or heavy at all. The OIS is a nice addition, and the advantage of a 1-stop faster aperture over the 42.5 is indeed a nice thing to have, especially if you shoot a lot in low light like you say you do. For the type of shooting I do, especially at 85mm eqv., the price between the f/1.2 & f/1.7 lenses didn't even make me question the f/1.7. It's a great lens, sharper than the O.45 I owned previously. Probably my only grip with the lens is the focus ring is VERY fly-by-wire. The rings on my PL15 & 25 lenses behave very well, giving me a nice, smooth and steady focus pull. The ring on the P43 is extremely rate dependent, making it difficult to achieve the same, slow focus pull that's possible on the 15 & 25mm lenses. IDK, maybe I just need to get some more practice with it (this was my first real attempt using it for video).

As for the E-M5 II quality, maybe they've done some setting tweaking already, but I remember when it came out how excited everyone was until they saw it compared to a GH4. I've seen clips/still image extractions where the E-M1 is much sharper than the M5 II. Hopefully FW 2.0 will address this (as well as give users the ability to shoot 60p with the higher bit rate). The problem is that when shooting 60p, I'm mainly using it to slow it to 24p in post, and with typically that involves shooting subjects with a fair bit of motion. Having a higher bit rate when shooting 60p helps the image resist artifacting when slowing it down. After FW 2.0 comes out, maybe I'll rent one for a few days to give it a try. Like you said, the IBIS is amazing, as long as one doesn't encounter any jello-o-ing.

I too am interested to see what comes with the GH5/E-M1 II. I'm hoping to see Panasonic implement full sensor 4K readout to eliminate the additional sensor crop, 4K 60p & 1080p 120fps with a sharper image (unlike the less sharp image one gets using 96fps on the GH4). For the E-M1 II, I'm hoping to see stabilized 4K 24fps (I doubt we'd see stabilized 60p 4K), and some sharp slow-mo 1080p.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Nice video. I, too, am looking forward to the GH5/E-M1 II introductions, particularly the E-M1 II. I am hoping that Olympus really ups their game when it comes to video.