1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A Short Aperture tutorial

Discussion in 'Creative Corner' started by kevinparis, Jul 4, 2010.

1. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    There was talk on the forums over the last few days about sharing 'how to' and tutorials.

Well a lazy sunday afternoon was spent over a hot computer, and this little tutorial came out of my efforts.

Jump over to my webpage to check it out and let me know what you think

Facefullofbees - Journal

Kevin

• Like Like x 3
  2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Kevin, will your link still point to your specific tutorial as you add to your journal?

Since it's an Aperture tutorial on B&W conversion, I'll add the tags aperture, tutorial and B&W to our Treasure Trove. Thanks :2thumbs:

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  3. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Brian... I wil cross that bridge when i come to it - at this point resting after a afternoon of moviemaking :) 

K

4. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    I appreciate the link to your blog, but could you also embed the movie here?

Cheers

Brian

5. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    hmmm brian... trying to embed here but doesn't seem to want to work.... any clues why not?

K

6. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    OK got it

<param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=13075833&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=0&amp;show_byline=0&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=00ADEF&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=13075833&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=0&amp;show_byline=0&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=00ADEF&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="225"></embed></object>

• Like Like x 2
  7. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Excellent!

Kevin, thank you!! I just watched it once, and posted my reactions on your site. Since I'm a newbie to Aperture, I've mostly been fooling around and just doing my best... Now I'm going to watch this a second time and make notes. I never realized how the Curves function could so easily be used...nor did I know about the hot and cold views...

So much to learn but it is fun and rewarding - plus, I had to say it's nice to have a voice to put with your name and face (faces if we think of your mugshots).:biggrin:

Here's hoping for some more lazy Sundays in your future.:thumbup:

8. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Nice little tutorial Kevin :2thumbs:

Thanks for sharing

Cheers

Brian

9. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Hi Kevin

I watched your tutorial and enjoyed it very much. Question....what is a Scot doing in Paris??

10. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Actually the scotsman is now in Gent Belgium... But Paris was for work reasons - 9 years working for Apple

Thanks for the kind words

K

11. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Well done Kevin. Aperture is a really great and intuitive program. I usually convert to B&W before I do many other adjustments, but I also tend to try a few B&W film presets, choose the one that looks best to me, and then just do REALLY minor tweaks from there.

I'd always wondered what the difference between "definition" and sharpening was - you explained it well and I guess that explains why I too tend to use the definition slider and leave the sharpening controls alone for the most part.

-Ray

• Like Like x 2
  12. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Thanks Ray

The aim of the video was to show how I use Aperture, and hopefully on the way maybe point out a few things that a beginner might find useful.

I am open to suggestions of other topics to cover. Ironically its the voiceover that takes the longest to get right.... no matter how much EQ I apply I still sound Scottish :) 

cheers

K

• Like Like x 1
  13. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Kevin, I thought you'd hired Ewan McGregor to do the voiceover for you, you old smoothie! :rofl:

It's a great idea, I must create the time to do something similar :2thumbs:

Cheers

Brian

14. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    actually Ewan hires me when he can't be bothered to turn up - like in those crappy Starwars movies :) 

Once upon a time, after a presentation in Switzerland I was told by an audience member that I was the first scotsman he had ever understood.... which I took as a compliment ...of sorts

K

15. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    shameless bump as I am looking for more feedback on whether I should do anymore of these

K

16. BBW

YES:clapping: - please, Kevin.:flowers_2:

17. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    I certainly hope you will do more Kevin, even though I don't use Aperture - it gives me an insight into how well my own workflow compares.

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  18. sinjin

sinjin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    I found it very useful and well done. I'm now less daunted by curves and may start using them. I appreciate you sharing your skills and knowledge, so please do continue.

Cheers,
    Mark

• Like Like x 1
  19. BBW

Agree, sinjin, it's such a great help to see and hear how things are done and have it shown in a straightforward manner. Now that I have an up-to-date MacBook Pro, I'm thrilled to be able to use Aperture the way it should be used...it's a whole new world for me that I've just put my toes into.

20. mmzymxf

mmzymxf New to Mu-43

Aug 30, 2010
    Thanks..

• Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.