A Short Aperture tutorial

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Kevin, will your link still point to your specific tutorial as you add to your journal?

Since it's an Aperture tutorial on B&W conversion, I'll add the tags aperture, tutorial and B&W to our Treasure Trove. Thanks :2thumbs:

Cheers

Brian

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
I appreciate the link to your blog, but could you also embed the movie here?

Cheers

Brian

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
OK got it

<param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=13075833&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=0&amp;show_byline=0&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=00ADEF&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=13075833&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=0&amp;show_byline=0&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=00ADEF&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="225"></embed></object>

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Near &quot;Playland&quot; outside of NYC, NY, USA
Excellent!

Kevin, thank you!! I just watched it once, and posted my reactions on your site. Since I'm a newbie to Aperture, I've mostly been fooling around and just doing my best... Now I'm going to watch this a second time and make notes. I never realized how the Curves function could so easily be used...nor did I know about the hot and cold views...

So much to learn but it is fun and rewarding - plus, I had to say it's nice to have a voice to put with your name and face (faces if we think of your mugshots).:biggrin:

Here's hoping for some more lazy Sundays in your future.:thumbup:

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
Well done Kevin. Aperture is a really great and intuitive program. I usually convert to B&W before I do many other adjustments, but I also tend to try a few B&W film presets, choose the one that looks best to me, and then just do REALLY minor tweaks from there.

I'd always wondered what the difference between "definition" and sharpening was - you explained it well and I guess that explains why I too tend to use the definition slider and leave the sharpening controls alone for the most part.

-Ray

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
Thanks Ray

The aim of the video was to show how I use Aperture, and hopefully on the way maybe point out a few things that a beginner might find useful.

I am open to suggestions of other topics to cover. Ironically its the voiceover that takes the longest to get right.... no matter how much EQ I apply I still sound Scottish :)

cheers

K

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Kevin, I thought you'd hired Ewan McGregor to do the voiceover for you, you old smoothie! :rofl:

It's a great idea, I must create the time to do something similar :2thumbs:

Cheers

Brian

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
actually Ewan hires me when he can't be bothered to turn up - like in those crappy Starwars movies :)

Once upon a time, after a presentation in Switzerland I was told by an audience member that I was the first scotsman he had ever understood.... which I took as a compliment ...of sorts

K

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
I certainly hope you will do more Kevin, even though I don't use Aperture - it gives me an insight into how well my own workflow compares.

Cheers

Brian

sinjin

Mu-43 Regular
I found it very useful and well done. I'm now less daunted by curves and may start using them. I appreciate you sharing your skills and knowledge, so please do continue.

Cheers,
Mark

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Near &quot;Playland&quot; outside of NYC, NY, USA
Agree, sinjin, it's such a great help to see and hear how things are done and have it shown in a straightforward manner. Now that I have an up-to-date MacBook Pro, I'm thrilled to be able to use Aperture the way it should be used...it's a whole new world for me that I've just put my toes into.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom