A serious prime lenses & Kit lens killer IMHO :)

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Bhupinder2002, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Guys :smile:
    I am a self proclaimed prime lens addict and was enjoying a dream trio of Olympus 12 mm , PL25, and Oly 45 mm 1.8 and not to mention that I have Panny 20 mm as well. Few weeks ago I bought Oly 14-54 mm II and this lens has changed my shooting habits . I dont carry my primes any more and especially during day time. This lens competes with them all and respective FLs and I am happy with results I get . I was thinking of selling this lens just because of size and slow AF but I am gonna keep it. I am keeping my primes but this lens has shocked me and I would strongly recommend this lens over 12-50 mm kit lens which comes with OMD. This lens AF is quite acceptable on OMD and I will post as video soon . If you dont want 3 primes and a macro lens , or you are very much budget conscious - Just get this lens and you wont be disappointed at all. I shot tons of videos in low light and I am amazed . Ofcourse I used MF while shooting videos .
    Here are some samples..

at 14 mm on OMD -Handheld - shot by my 7 year old daughter

PB150419.

at 54 mm on OMD -shot my myself :smile:

PB150424.

This is how it looks- shot with Oly 40-150 @ 75mm perhaps
    [​IMG]

Finally - This shooter is comfortable with OMD+Grip+ OLy 14-54mmII-
    This is my 7 year old Princess :smile:

PB155302.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  2. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Awesome!!!!

3. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Nice kit, but big, especially with the grip. I had the same lens, and yes, it is a great piece of glass. I sold it, though, to finance something else (forget what). If I were comfortable with a big zoom on my E-M5, I'd probably get it again, as the kind of shooting I typically do does not require fast auto-focus. But even the E-M5 kit lens is too long to carry around all the time for me, and the PL25 and Oly. 45 are easy to carry in a multi-pocket vest that I practically live it.

You are right, though, it is a stellar performer. If I still had a 4/3 SLR I would still want it.

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Told you it's a ridiculous lens :biggrin: And think, Oly made one nicer than this in the 12-60. We've got some nice m4/3 glass, but Oly's zoom design abilities haven't been brought to bear yet and I hope they change that soon.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bhupinder2002

Thanks Promit.. actually you saved the day for me. I love the solid tank like built and beautiful weather sealing .its heavy but again I dont have to change lenses. Everything remains on the camera. It makes OMD look serious but I am happy with it. I dont mind the size. It looks very good on OMD. PL25 1.4 will go soon as I am gonna get new OLy 17 mm 1.8 .I will stick with primes but I can see that this lens will get more and more use in future .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

6. Bhupinder2002

Thanks Larry . . I agree that it looks big and heavy but somehow I am falling in love with this lens . I sold OMD kit lens and got this one, this has better macro capability than 12-50 mm and I like it .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

7. bipinsnair

bipinsnair Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Herndon, VA
    Bipin Nair
    Very nice set of images, especially the first one.
    The lens seems great.

8. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    No chance of being subtle for street shooting with that monster, though. Great lens, could only use it in studio situations. Never get my rig into concerts etc...with it. Destroys the small form factor, which is too much of a trade off. Oh and the second coming will happen before it can af. Glad it works for you.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bhupinder2002

Hi Grinch ..I know what u mean . I am not giving up my primes and small form factor is important for me as well. But there are days when u dont wanna just carry three lenses and a bag and then keep on swapping lenses and thats where this lens gets into the picture . I just paid USD300 and I dont think I can get anything better for that much money .I am just wondering why Oly doenst make a native version of this lens for MFT format.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

10. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I do too, but I can understand why they haven't. If they can sell a zoom for $600 or two primes for $1000, why wouldn't they opt for the primes? Especially when they're actually easier to design and less expensive to produce?

11. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Some people say 4/3 lenses give slow AF on µ4/3 bodies, is that your experience or not?

12. Bhupinder2002

Hi.. its a slow lens but not that slow as quoted by some people. Its in same league as Panny 20 mm . I am not at all frustrated or furious or angry or annoyed with its AF. Infact I am quite happy .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

13. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    And a year or two ago, people were crying out for high grade primes for the m4/3 system. Now we have them. Now -- give us a native m4/3 zoom the same class and optical performance of the lens Bhupinder got. I suspect that the shorter flange to sensor distance makes it more difficult, though.

14. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Hmmmm.... Interesting.

But, I'm a bit confused :confused: (and not for the first time...) - This is a 4/3 lens (NOT a :43: lens), correct? If so, doesn't it need an adapter to work with the E-M5? And that would mean MF only, right?

I ask these questions because my adapted Nikon lenses will only MF.

Thanks!

15. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Yes, it does need an adapter (you can see it in Bhupinder's picture of the camera and lens), but the adapter also permitts AF. The problem is that the AF is slow because the lens is designed for phase detection focus and the camera uses contrast AF. It's not as bad a you might fear but it's nowhere near as fast as purpose designed MFT lenses and it's pretty much useless for action.

16. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Actually, the 14-54 MkII is contrast-detection enabled, so AF is much quicker on m4/3 bodies than the original 14-54 (or most other 4/3 lenses) would be. But... it's not as quick as many native m4/3 lenses. Still, it is quicker than the Panny 20 IMO, is very useable and delivers stellar quality images on m4/3 bodies.

:2thumbs:

17. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I don't know about quicker, but it is definitely comparable to the P20. It's clearly not performing like an MSC lens, but it's not a disaster either.

18. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I used to have a Panny 20 but sold it due to the s-l-o-w focus. For landscapes or static subjects it's fine, but anything moving forget it.

19. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I don't think the shorter flange distance will cause a lens designer any trouble, it just means more freedom in designing the lens. In fact, Olympus could just make the barrel longer to avoid having to add the adapter. Of course, when they would issue this as a native µ4/3 design, we would ask them to make it really quick to focus and that could be a problem if the lens focusses by moving a lot of heavy glass elements.

20. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    A good point. That's why on-sensor phase-detect (as Nikon is doing) would be a nice interim solution, since it would work well with all existing lens designs.