1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A Scot in Germany says hello!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by BigTam, Apr 15, 2012.

1. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    First of all, many thanks to all the posters and mods here for a very enjoyable and informative forum. A very pleasant contrast to some of the aggressive and abusive posts on some fora, which shall be nameless.

I currently have a Nikon D7000 with 4 lenses and a Fuji X100. Since getting the Fuji (which was driven to some extent by looks), I have hardly used the D7000.

I love the small size, light weight and impressive quality of the X100 and have come to appreciate the discipline of shooting with a single focal length. For me, 35mm-e is how I see the world.

But I do miss the flexibility of different lenses sometimes and I'm therefore drawn to the X-Pro 1. I'm sure it's a great camera, but it is expensive and doesn't yet have a wide angle.

Those aspects led me to look at the E-M5, which in turn led me to this forum. I'm now pretty sure I'll go for the OM-D with the 12-50 (good all-purpose lens for when I don't have time to swap: my better half doesn't always appreciate waiting!).

The 12 and 45 look like good complements to my X100 and give me equivalent 24, 35 and 90. I have 35 and 50 on my Nikon (50 and 75 equivalent), but I never really warmed to those lengths: neither wide enough nor long enough.

The posts here, especially the various photos posted, have really helped: there are some very talented photographers here, and some very nice people.

Thanks again for a great forum! Hope to contribute more when I finally take the plunge :)

2. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Welcome Big Tam,

Glad to hear you are enjoying the X100 - I certainly rate mine very highly and is a great all purpose (sport being the exception) camera that produces remarkable image quality.

I sympathise with your predicament as I am still pondering replacing my DSLR kit with the XPro-1 as I like the feel / weight combo and footprint is very similar to my departed M8.

Fuji certainly delivers the quality of image that I like.

Good luck with your decision and don't forget to let us all know what you do and show images from the new camera when you get it.

Cheers,
    Ian

3. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Thanks, Ian. Your contributions are one of many good reasons for following this forum!

4. dko22

dko22 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Stuttgart, Germany
    from a Scot who may be moving to Germany next year -- Stuttgart though so not really anywhere near you-- a hearty welcome as well. I can myself see the attractions of the X-Pro1 system and in some ways would be ideal for slow, thoughtful, old fashioned style photography. Price is however a major drawback when looking at building a system from scratch (and there are not yet any UWA or real telephoto lenses) and the E-M5 is a much more logical step forward for a current m43 owner. Still, I'll certainly be having a think about it before making my next move.

David

• Like Like x 1