A Ring of Bright Water

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Rockinggoose, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Rockinggoose

Rockinggoose Mu-43 Regular

For those who have read Gavin Maxwell's book of his time living in an old house on the West Coast of Scotland this will be a magical place. "Camusfearna" as it was called in the book is in fact Sandaig Bay just South of Glenelg in Wester Ross together with it's islands. I had the privilege of visiting the bay recently, an aspiration since I first read the book some fifty years ago. It is not easily approached, being some distance from the single track road to Corran, but following the Sandaig Burn as near as possible from the bridge on the road brought us to the opposite side of the watercourse, as it had Maxwell on his first and subsequent visits.

Looking down the steep path to the bay, the Burn is in the deep gorge to the left:

The Bay and Islands from a little way from up on the hill:

The crossing of the Sandaig Burn is in the same fashion and location that Maxwell used:

The bay in dull light from near the site of Maxwell's house which burnt down in 1969:

The memorial constructed to Gavin Maxwell and beneath which his ashes are laid:

The memorial to "Edal", one of his most beloved Asian Smooth Coated Otters

An opportunity to experience the peace of this iconic location and which is now even nearer to my heart than after having read the book.

If you have only seen the film (not filmed in this location) then read the book and then visit Sandaig, I may see you there!

All with E-M5 and Leica 14-150mm

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    I like the good ol' fashioned rope bridge :smile:
  3. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Very nice set! Well done!
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Beautiful, brought back memories of the book. Thanks! :thumbup:
  5. Vol

Vol Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2013
    I saw the film but not read the book ... thanks for the reminder! :smile:
  6. Rockinggoose

Rockinggoose Mu-43 Regular

Having now been to the spot and reviewed the film I find it so disappointing, I wish I hadn't bothered.