1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A refugee from Nikon cameras

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Phlash46, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Phlash46

Phlash46 Nikon Refugee

Jul 1, 2014
    Montrose, NY
    Bruce Gordon
    Well, after 40+ years, going back to the Nikon F and ending, sadly, with the D610, I'm now a happy m4/3 owner. When I read the reviews of the EM-1 and lenses, I knew it was time to stop carrying around several pounds of body and lens (I'm 68 and it isn't that easy any more). I've been lurking here for a while and it sounds like a collection of nice people dedicated to photography and being kind to one another, both of which appeal to me. I've gotten used to shorter battery life and a bit too much DOF and have been enjoying my time with Olympus (and one Panasonic) lenses.
    I'm retired, travel a fair bit and have very quick grandchildren; those and my wife's front and back gardens and local birds are my primary shooting areas. I must say that the Oly 60mm f/2.8 macro is astonishing, given its' size and weight; especially coming from a Sigma 180mm f/2.8 OS lens (roughly the size and weight of Rhode Island).

Look forward to interacting with all of you.

Phlash46

• Like Like x 11
  2. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    Welcome! Are you intending on adapting any of your F-mount lenses?

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome to the forum! If you want a really amazing and enjoyable lens try the Panasonic 25mm f1.4 - it's the :43: version of a fast nifty fifty.

4. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    Welcome to this friendly forum and to the amazing world of u4/3. I'm still a Nikon ******, but these days I reserve my fx gear for very specific purposes. Frankly, my u4/3 gear is more fun.

5. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    I too live in both worlds (Nikon+Olympus) and I have to say out of all of the cameras I've owned the EP5 is the most fun. I'm still a youngster at 64, but m43 is getting my photography allowance for the next couple of years:)

The ability to adapt lenses to m43 cameras means that most of my Nikkor glass I'd keep even if I gave up DSLRs. Focus peaking is a great tool with these cameras. My dream is an EP5 with 4K video.

• Like Like x 1
  6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Welcome to m43.

I'm also a Nikon shooter and Olympus(see sig).

Once my D300 goes, I'll be replacing it with an m43 camera(Oly EM1 or similar upgraded model). I love my full frame Nikon's, especially the Df....but the Oly gear is appealing to me and it keeps up with me for 90% of what I want to do.

I've often told people that if I did not shoot so much sport, I could see me running Olympus OMD EM1 exclusively. I find the files and handling that good! :D

7. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Welcome Bruce!

8. Phlash46

Phlash46 Nikon Refugee

Jul 1, 2014
    Montrose, NY
    Bruce Gordon
    Thanks! No, I'm not. They were excellent lenses, but, the size and weight would defeat the purpose.

9. Phlash46

Phlash46 Nikon Refugee

Jul 1, 2014
    Montrose, NY
    Bruce Gordon
    Thanks!

10. Phlash46

Phlash46 Nikon Refugee

Jul 1, 2014
    Montrose, NY
    Bruce Gordon
    Gryphone1911,
    I agree. I shoot very l;title in the way of sports and what I do shoot is in good light and not very fast; I also shoot BIF's but large, relatively close ones, so the EM-1 is fine. I do miss the Nikon FF look but the size and weight were getting to me.

Bruce

11. Phlash46

Phlash46 Nikon Refugee

Jul 1, 2014
    Montrose, NY
    Bruce Gordon
    Thanks Frank.

12. Phlash46

Phlash46 Nikon Refugee

Jul 1, 2014
    Montrose, NY
    Bruce Gordon
    I don't like being in two systems; I'm trying to keep it simple so sold all my Nikkors...the pain still lingers...:mad:

13. Phlash46

Phlash46 Nikon Refugee

Jul 1, 2014
    Montrose, NY
    Bruce Gordon
    Thanks Bob! I got the Oly 25mm f/1.8. I used all f/1.8's with Nikon and didn't see the need for the f/1.4 price.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mohun

Mohun Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2012
    Well, Bruce, I'd realized that there were a few of us. Perhaps some of us ought to form some sort of an informal subset group of those who maintain a foot in both worlds. I'm 76 and my current DSLR is a D610, but, with my wife, have traveled a bit to Europe and, on the most recent two travels, knowing the burden of humping around a Nikon DSLR and a lens or two over hot cobblestones and through long museum days, I have left my Nikon at home and gone with, first, a GF1, then with a GX1, and have recently acquired a GX7 (for the built-in viewfinder and the camera's pretty convenient AF-on capabilities), for future traveling. I've not abandoned my Nikon altogether but I've unloaded a D300, a D700, a couple of WA lenses and the 24-120 f/4 VR zoom Nikkor to go for the slightly lighter, more compact D610, the 24-85 VR zoom and the 28mm f/1.8G.

I can't imagine much auto-less travel nowdays with the DSLR gear, so the reasonable IQ compromise with M43 suits me well and is even backed up by my pocket-sized Canon S100, which actually does fit in a pocket, a trick even the Pannys (with a VF) can't pull off.

15. synthetictone

synthetictone Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Dean
    Greetings from another former Nikon shooter. I have an old D200 now collecting dust on a shelf since getting a Panasonic GH3.

16. groan

groan Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    Marc
    I'm in the exact same place as you, Bruce. Sold off all my Nikon gear for Panasonic. I still have the body and my 60mm micro but they will probably be up for sale very soon.
    I'm loving my new gear and look forward to many photos