A Refreshing "Old" Experience - Film

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by BobBill, Jul 26, 2011.

1. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    While I do love my digital Pen ep-2, it is a demanding machine, with all its bells and whistles. I am forever searching for settings and reading the manuals.

So, the other day I took my "old" Nikon F2 camera out of its storage bag, and located some TriX, making sure I had film developer on hand as well, and attached the 105 lens and went shopping for pics.

How fun, to use such a simple device. Like when I first bought it, just after dirt was made, it seems now.

Yes, film requires fumbling with canisters, developing intrigues, and choice to scan or use enlarger and more chemicals, but the simplicity of the camera in use and its plain heft in hand remain more than nostalgic.

I have decided to use the F2 for serious hunts but always have that wee Pen there, as well.

• Like Like x 3
  2. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    Forgot to Include Image

May be too small.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  3. silverbullet

silverbullet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 10, 2010
    • Like Like x 2
  4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Great stuff! :cool:
    I started out with film and now (thanks to dad) I'll be returning to it......also with a Nikon :biggrin:

5. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Nice texture on this image!

What are you using to scan that stuff? Are you scanning direct from negative, then processing? Or printing from neg and then scanning the print?

Film is so smelly and so messy and all those chemicals are so polluty (new word -- add it to your spell-checker)... but the results are soooooo nice! And best of all, you can always get the same results, no matter what camera you shoot with (unlike digital, where every camera is a different "emulsion").

You've also inspired me to dig out my old SRT-101. Or maybe I'll try one of the Nikons that live in the box with it.

6. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
  7. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson

I am not the best photog...not even a good amateur but I persist at the art of it.

I agree, film is messy and polluty, and gives me contact skin rashes...but I love how the process works and the mystery and suspense, the waiting.

I develop the film and scan to print on a large multi purpose MicroteK scanner, sometimes on an older Minolta scanner...usually works well enough.

I suppose I could develop and print, then scan to print, but I read something about scanning from the neggy is best. I will have to try the latter when the weather cools. I print in laundry room using very old Kodak fluorescent enlarger adapted to use Nikkors.

For me, the pic does not have to be anally perfect. Like music, few notice the ad libs and faking...it is the impression...

Funny, but shooting with both machines are fun, but in different ways. Film seems more guttural, whereas digital seems more intellectual, and, for me, occasionally frustrating...but you can erase and do over easier, which may not be such a good thing.

I was going for irony, by posting digital pic of the F2. Maybe later.

Another irony: I use my Nikon lenses on the ep2 more than the kit lens.

8. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    Film is no more wasteful than digiography when you take into account the incredibly short life cycles of digital cameras and their support equipment. "Upgrading" is the credo of the digital world. Want a better sensor? Buy a new camera. In the film days a better sensor cost the price of a roll of the latest emulsion. And (some of) the cameras were built to last effectively forever.

Also, scanning from negs is OK (and then you're in a world of pp like shooting raw) but producing a good 10x8 (or whatever) is an art in itself. Then you can use any old cheapo flatbed to digitise it.

I give you this...

236745613_995d7b8f1b.
    National Gallery by Mark Bowerman, on Flickr

Leica M6, 50mm Elmar (old style), Ilford Delta 100 in neat ID-11, printed at 7x5" on Ilford RC/MG gloss, scanned on 50 quid Canon flatbed.

My two penn'orth...

• Like Like x 1
  9. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    Markb +1. Excellent observations. Yes, I should go to prints...

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I've been thinking of picking up some tanks and shoot some film also.

28693858_MncQX-L.
    Scanned from print - F2 w/ Nikkor 20mm

G

• Like Like x 1
  11. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    I rediscovered the joy of film as well earlier this year, but have done so using rangefinders, not my Olympus OM-1 or Pen f. There is something very satisfying about being in full manual control, without a meter, zoom lens, AF or even through the lens view. It engages another part of my mind, and makes me pay more attention to my surroundings. It also makes me more thoughtful about what I photography, knowing I only have 24 exposures on a roll. And yes, the images have a different quality.

I've been using an Olympus 35 SP from the early 70s as a second body when I go on photo walkabouts with my E-PL1--super sharp 42mm F1.7 fixed lens, nice heft to it. Here's a photo with the Oly VF-1 for the 17mm F2.8 digital pen mounted.

35_SP.

And a few sample photos.

Nap_Time.

Ranger.