A recommendation for a cheap, fast legacy lens in the 24-28mm range

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Gwendal, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Hi gang - recently got a Voigtlander 35mm f1.2 that I simply love, but feel I could use a wider FOV. The 20mm seems a little too wide, and I feel the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 and Voigtlander 28mm Ultron are a little too expensive - I'd like to remain below the €200 mark (maybe before going to the Panasonic/Leica 25mm).
    I do not want a c-mount lens because the results are often too "marked".
    Right now (after duly searching here, thanks to all the information amassed !) I feel the best choice would be the 24mm Nikkor, but are there any better options ? Vivitar 28mm for instance ?

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    I have both an olympus OM and a nikkor 24/2 - I find i use the OM more than the Nikkor - though price wise you may struggle to get one below the 200 euro mark

also have 28mm OM, nikkor and a pentax K which i actually don't think i have ever shot with.

if i find some time i might put together a little comparison - what kind of shots do you like to take

you can see some of my 24/28 shots here

24's and 28's - a set on Flickr

and all my legacy shots here

Legacy lenses - a set on Flickr

cheers

K

• Like Like x 2
  3. Charles2

Charles2 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    Yashica ML

Yashica ML 28mm f/2.8, not to be confused with the "consumer" line labeled DSB in place of ML. Well under your cost limit.

You can search Flickr and see whether it is good enough for you. I like the colors and overall performance, but it does show weakness in foliage at mid-distance, for example.

• Like Like x 2
  4. aleksanderpolo

aleksanderpolo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    You have 35/1.2 and think that 20/1.7 is too expensive? :) If you don't mind 2.8, nikon 28/2.8 Ais (not Ai, not E) is an excellent choice, but it would be too close to 35. So, perhaps Nikon's 24/2.8? If you want F2, you might need to have Vivitar/Kiron to stay within your budget.

5. lhockings

lhockings New to Mu-43

Jul 16, 2010
    Milton Keynes
    I picked up a Sigma 28mm F/2.8 FD fit, fully manual control for a very reasonable price. Its a good quality lens, but i've only really used it for macro images so far, but the image quality is good. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  6. dko22

dko22 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Stuttgart, Germany
    I had the Nikon 24mm AIS f/ 2.8 before deciding it was surplus after getting the noticeably better 17-35. It is a competent and beautifully made lens which is quite sharp and works reliably but I didn't find it especially smooth or detailed on the D700. Certainly I would much rather have the Panny 20mm 1.7 if it's half as good as folk say -you can always crop a bit if necessary. But if you want to spend less than the 24mm is perfectly useable. The 28mm AIS has an even better reputation and I did try it once -- perhaps a slight edge over the 24mm

David

• Like Like x 2
  7. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Precisely - I started out ffor the 35mm 1.4, then found a 1.2 at a very fair price, and decided to jump on it... hence the current lack of available funds ;-)

thanks for the tips !

8. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    ...and before I really go shopping : no Zeiss lenses have been mentioned, while it seems some can be had for around €200 - is there a problem with them ? What is the difference between Biogon and Distagon ?

9. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Industar-69, 28mm F2.8 for the chaika half-frame camera.

39mm thread mount, slightly different register. Will run ~$20.

• Like Like x 2
  10. aleksanderpolo

Mar 31, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Distagon is retro focus design for SLR, works better on digital as its rear element is further away from the sensor. Biogon is for rangefinder, which usually place the rear element closer to the film plane and might give you problem on m43. Distagon 28/2.8 can still be have around your budget, but 25/2.8 will be over. I think Nikon Ais 28/2.8 is of better value. Alternatively, Yashica's ML 28/2.8 has been called "poor man's Distagon"

But seriously, save up for the 20/1.7 if you can, it's usably sharp at 1.7 and reach its sharpest at 2.8. No other lens have similar performance on m43. If you don't like it, you can always return it or sell it with minimal loss.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Thanks all for your recommendations - finally went for the 20mm Pany after reading so much good stuff and finding it below the €300 mark - will probably end up selling the Oly 17mm...

12. aleksanderpolo

Mar 31, 2010
    San Diego, CA
  13. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
    I can recommend you a couple of lenses :
    Pentacon 29 f2.8
    Tamron adaptall BBAR 28 f2.5

Mamiya sekor 35 f2.8 , Porst 35 f2.8, revuenon 35 f2.8

Gwendal Distagon was made especially for reflex , because the biogon design was going too deep in the body. From i could understand 35 f2.8 Jupiter 12 Biogon copy is impossible to mount on anything not even leica. By the looks of it Biogon is a reverse Tele lens. This technique was applied in early days of the 35mm camera thanks to Angenieux who decided to reverse a tele for the first time.